Reliable CCTV System which can be viewed on a mobile, cost less than £1,000, reasonable night vision

Options
13»

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I recommend having a separate IR illuminator. Because a) you get better coverage than those built into the camera (around the lens) and b) they eliminate back scatter from spider webs over the lens, and (mostly) from rain drops etc. In addition, as the illuminator uses invisible IR light, it will not annoy your neighbours. They do have a dim red glow, which potential thieves know to look out for (I assume), and thus acts as a deterent.

Incidently, many cameras, e.g the Reolink ones, can have local memory chips inserted, meaning - if the cameras are out of reach - in many cases no network video recorder is required.
    Yes there are certainly circumstances where these can be very useful. I've got a couple fitted to cover blank spots where the camera IR doesn't quite reach. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Jo4 said:

You have to insert a memory card into the camera I mentioned. It would just be the rest of the CCTV system which would require a recorder.
    Memory cards in cameras are best used as a backup, rather than a primary recording device. It's much easier having all cameras connected to one recorder in terms of accessing recorded images or viewing live pictures. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Jo4 said:
    Reolink has a camera which has 180 degrees so I am getting more tempted by it. Less cameras needed, less wiring, less damage or work to do to get them installed. 
    You see more - but you also see less. Yes - you'll see a big picture with half a street in it - but zoom in for any detail, and you'll be disappointed. Especially with night time images. Better to go for a longer focal length that captures less square footage - have more cameras - and get more detail. But at the end of the day - any camera is better than no camera :) (Mostly)
    The camera I was looking at is on Amazon. It is called “Reolink 4K Dual-Lens Home Security Camera with 180° Viewing Angle, Outdoor IP Camera Support Person/Vehicle/Pet Detection, Color Night Vision, Two-Way Talk, Waterproof, Reolink Duo 2 PoE” 
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2022 at 7:43PM
    Options
    Jo4 said:

You have to insert a memory card into the camera I mentioned. It would just be the rest of the CCTV system which would require a recorder.
    Memory cards in cameras are best used as a backup, rather than a primary recording device. It's much easier having all cameras connected to one recorder in terms of accessing recorded images or viewing live pictures. 
    The camera I mentioned at the beginning which friend has is ptz so it would be the only one or two that would have a memory card, the rest would be connected to a recorder. 
  • Chickereeeee
    Options
    Jo4 said:

I dont think so, really, unless you need long-term storage,  and/or continuous recording. I have memory cards in several Reolink cameras. I can see live view of all cameras from my pc, and and review event-triggered recordings on them all for several weeks, as required. (I also don't have several videos streams using up bandwidth on their way to the video recorder...)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback