Should I use credit card or 1% cash back debit card?

Options
Hi! 

Just wondered if anyone had any advice.
I am a student, but previously I wa working so was able to get a British Airways AMEX credit card, and been using this for over a year for everyday purchases ensuring it gets paid off of course, in order to build my credit score.

However, the other day I signed up for the new Chase account because of the relatively good interest rate, and saw that I get 1% cash back on spending on this for a year. This reward is better than I get with the credit card.

Would it be a mistake to use the chase card for a year for the cash back instead of my AMEX credit card? Because I am worried I will miss out on the benefit to my credit sore of using the credit card responsibly?

Thanks very much!
James S

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 April 2022 at 4:50PM
    Options
    You don't have a credit score, just credit history.

Just use your credit card from time to time to keep it active. Use it especially where s75 may be useful.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with zx81. It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can use both. As long as you do remember to pay off the credit card in full every month. (Gosh, Martin has programmed me well!)

Your credit sore or score is of no consequence since nobody except you ever sees that. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,367 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you paying to have the Amex?  It might be silly to keep a card that costs you to have in your wallet.  Then again if you have no real/steady income as a student you may not be able to get a replacement.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As long as you're not paying an annual fee for the Amex - put an item through the account monthly to keep it active, and paid in full - and then put your spend on the Chase card. You only need to use the Amex then if you need S75 protection for a large purchase. If you are paying an annual fee - see if they'll move you to a non-fee option. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have both Chase and Amex myself. For small purchases (below £100) I use Chase. For big purchases, I use Amex (or another credit card) for S75 protection. It's still useful to keep the Amex because the Chase cashback only lasts a year.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would say it depends on what you are buying and goals are.

I have both but regularly combine the Amex with Nectar by converting the points across and using it at certain places to maximise the returns. If it’s an expensive item too the credit card protection is a great addition.

But if you don’t really use Avios or nectar then it may not be what you are looking for. But I think it just depends on the situation. 
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    I have both cards and predominantly use my Chase card for the 1% cashback.

As doing so means that I will never achieve the £3,000 minimum for payment of AmEx cashback, I do not use my AmEx card, unless utilising one of their Offers.

Transactions that do not qualify for cashback through Chase, for example, car servicing, will be completed through my Barclaycard Rewards CC.

All bases covered :smile:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure