Informing Debt Collectors of Change of address... does it delay your debt going to statute barred?

Options
Hi all

I am currently in the process of running all of my debts (2x Loan, 4xCredit Cards and 2xOverdrafts) into default, with the intention of then letting the debts run for 6 years so they become statute barred. 

My debts are with 4 creditors - Barclays, Barclaycard, MBNA and Halifax. 

I have moved overseas so have changed my correspondence address to a UK 'scan and email' Street Address so I can keep an eye on my bank mail and see when things go to default, or have been sold to debt collection agencies etc. However I must have changed my address AFTER some of the debts had already been sold by the bank to debt collectors, because I am getting mail from debt collectors to my OLD address, but all my bank mail is going to my NEW address. 

So i guess i need to contact the debt collector companies to inform them of my NEW address, so that their mail goes to that address , not my old address. I do not intend to respond to their mail or set up any payment plans, but my question is this:

If I contact a debt collection agency to inform them of a change of address, does this count as me 'acknowledging' the debt, therefore it 'resets the clock' in terms of the six year countdown to the debt becoming statute barred? Or does this not count? 

Any advice or answers welcome! Many thanks.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What is the letter going to say if its not going to acknowledge you have a debt with them?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It could be construed as acknowledgement yes, as you will have to provide account/reference numbers etc.

If you ring up and tell them verbally, then it doesn't count as acknowledgement, debts have to be acknowledged in writing for it to have any effect on there status.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Good point above. A phone call cannot count as acknowledgement; an email probably would; a letter definitely would unless worded extremely carefully and even then a judge might not be very sympathetic.

I'm not sure what a scan and email street address is. But if it is a normal UK address and your bank correspondence is going there then they will report that to the credit reference agencies and eventually the debt collection agencies will spot that.
  • DjangoUnchained
    Options
    could you not simply write back stating that you dont acknowledge this debt, but for further correspondence my current address is.....  ?
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    Good point above. A phone call cannot count as acknowledgement; an email probably would; a letter definitely would unless worded extremely carefully and even then a judge might not be very sympathetic.

I'm not sure what a scan and email street address is. But if it is a normal UK address and your bank correspondence is going there then they will report that to the credit reference agencies and eventually the debt collection agencies will spot that.
    @fatbelly it is a normal UK Street address yes. It is a paid for service for expats like myself who have no UK address. 

Who will report what to the credit reference agencies? I'm not doing anything illegal am I? Debt collection agencies will spot what exactly?

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    You're not doing anything illegal.

Banks report data each month to CRAs - so they will record your present address.

When a DCA is looking for where to write to they should see the new address and use it.
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    You're not doing anything illegal.

Banks report data each month to CRAs - so they will record your present address.

When a DCA is looking for where to write to they should see the new address and use it.
    Ah gotcha. Yes, i understand. Thank you for clarifying. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You've moved abroad, any plans to return to the UK or have you made the new country home?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    You've moved abroad, any plans to return to the UK or have you made the new country home?
    I have no plans to return to the UK, I have a fiancee in my current home country and I am settled here. I intend to stay here.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You're in debt, no plans to return to the UK, use a service to get your post and want things to default with the long-term aim of them being statute barred so you don't have to pay them.

If your previous address(es), when you took the finance out, are not friends / family addresses, the next thing to do is weigh up the risk:
    - of any court action,
    - research to see if any of the providers / debt agencies have a history of issuing court proceedings and enforcing them in your new country,
    - whether returning to the UK to live would happen due to splitting up or change of family members health etc,
    - if there's any impact on new life / job due to having a CCJ / creditor bankruptcy in a 'foreign' country;
    - anything else to think of / research while undertaking the above risk assessment.

It's not as if border control stop / arrest people for having a CCJ etc when entering the UK.

It's not the answer to your question, or thought process, but why even give it a second thought? Move on with your new life, if everything stacks up.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback