Capital one

Options
Oh so I have a capital one card. 6 months tomorrow… I was told I would get increase after 5 months I don’t know what the truth actually is. Any idea why it not been done and how long is the actual time as I seen 5,6,8 months . Also i spent near all my limit but I pay 5x the amount asked every month will that stop me getting a raise.. tbh I won’t use the extra but it would be handy for emergencies ever..   thanks everyone 

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You should only spend what you can afford to pay off in full, keeping a running balance won't have Cap1 rushing to increase your limit as it doesn't demonstrate being able to manage credit.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Madmike48
    Madmike48 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should only spend what you can afford to pay off in full, keeping a running balance won't have Cap1 rushing to increase your limit as it doesn't demonstrate being able to manage credit.
    I won’t get into excess debt. Don’t want a increase but can’t really make a big purchase with only £200 
  • MrFrugalFever
    MrFrugalFever Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    £200 😮 didn’t even realise you could get a limit that low!? 

It will all depend on how you manage the account, I’m not aware of them doing further credit searches to establish your affordability.
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

On my random card thoughts, spending to the limit (rolling over maybe a month or 2, depends on the limit) the p[aying in full will get you a increase very quick. Or course that may not be for everyone.

Though why increase it anyway, I was not trying to. It is not going to help buiold crfedit if your pay to possible debt ratio is big (for some things not others).
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Options
    Why not phone them and tell them what you put in your OP? 

Ask if they are now ready to increase your limit. It doesn't hurt to ask.  But as others have said, it's always best to clear the balance every month. That way, credit card companies know that you are able to manage your money well. (I can't tell you how long it took for me to learn that! Strange but true . . . )
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    Options
    Madmike48 said:
     I was told I would get increase after 5 months 

Who told you this?

Increases normally come with good account management - which is usually along the lines of paying off in full every month, and not going near the limit where possible. Different lenders have different approaches - but I know Cap One isn't known for being generous with its limit increases.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Madmike48 said:

Also i spent near all my limit but I pay 5x the amount asked every month will that stop me getting a raise.. 
    If you're not clearing in full on a £200 limit, forget about increases.

Bear on mind that you also have defaults from your other accounts, which will minimise the chances of limit increases.
  • MrFrugalFever
    MrFrugalFever Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Directly from capitalone online portal just now.
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback