Annual Unearned income

Options
Good afternoon,
I have two questions…..
1. How exactly is annual unearned income calculated?
( I earn £13,200 from lodgers per year)
2. Can/do the csa back date maintenance payments.
I have had a verbal agreement with my ex for the last 5 years of how much she wanted each month. I have not missed a payment and during this time the payment has dropped as two of my 3 children turned 18 and started full time employment. Now one of them is going back to full time education and my ex has asked if o will pay maintenance for her again. I did say I’d need to check to confirm I needed to and let her know )it turns out I do) which is not a problem.
she asked for my wages amount and also for the first time ever which I wasn’t aware of how much I get in rent as this was calculated in the cost too. I looked into it and it’s true do again no problem. She is under the impression the total rent gets added straight into my wage and then the maintenance is calculated from that where as I read it as 8% of the annual unearned income gets divided by 52 weeks and then added to my gross weekly amount and that amount is put into the calculator.
She is now saying I should have been paying what the calculator says now over the last 5 years. But we had a verbal amicable agreement that at every point she confirmed she was happy with the amount I was giving her.
she has in the last two days and never before contacted the CSA and had a registration number ready to give them my details.
hence my original two questions.
please can any one clarify this for me,
thank you 

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2022 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Your ex-wife can only get CSA from the date of her CSA claim. Be aware that once calculated, you will owe a back payment from the date of the claim. So do your own calculation and put something aside. 

If a child under 20 years old is registered for full-time non-advanced education, mum can claim Child Benefit and CSA for the child, if they are resident with her.  I believe the child must have been accepted for that course before their 19th birthday. That doesn't include apprenticeships. When is or was the returner's 20th birthday?

However, you might want to help the returner directly?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • marty9673
    Options
    Só if she registered the claim on 13th April 2022 the csa will only calculate it from that date?
    I have offered to pay exactly what the gov calculator says to as from 1st next month I have even said I would pay the extra from the 1st of this month to make it up to the correct amount.
    I’m 100% positive that her mum will want the money and won’t allow me to pay my daughter directly ( is that even a legal option )

Do you know how exactly the Annual as l unearned income is calculated?

• RAS
    Options
    How old is your daughter? Month and year? When does  she start this course?
  • marty9673
    Options
    She is currently 18 and is 19 on 7th oct 2022. She starts her course on sept 1st 2022
  • RAS
    edited 15 April 2022 at 5:12PM
    Options
    So mum will be able to claim CSA for her from September 2022 until August 2023, assuming a 1 year course, or until her 20th birthday if it's longer. 

If mum has not been recently receiving Child Benefit for her because she's been working, mum may not be able to restart the claim until September, unless she did so within 3 months of your daughter previously leaving education and your daughter met certain conditions.

The CSA will calculate your liability now based on your most recent tax return, and take that information directly from the HMRC.  

There is a more informed Child Support sub-forum towards the top of this page. Child Support — MoneySavingExpert Forum
  • marty9673
    Options
    Thank you 
    do you know if when using the calculator I have to add the full yearly rent I receive from my own property and divide that by 52 weeks and add that amount to my weekly wage gross and that combined total into the calculator or do I only as I believe use 8% of the gross rental amount and then divide that by 52 weeks?
    thank you 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options

https://www.gov.uk/how-child-maintenance-is-worked-out/ask-other-income-expenses-included

Income and assets

Both the paying and receiving parent can ask for the following types of income and assets to be taken into account:

• rental income over £2,500 a year
    • interest and dividends from savings and investments over £2,500 a year
    • gross earnings or pension of at least £100 a week - if the paying parent gets benefits and qualifies to pay the ‘flat rate’ of child maintenance
    • any income the paying parent may be diverting so that it is not included in the calculation (for example, giving it to someone else or choosing to have a company car instead of a higher salary)
    • assets like shares, stocks, gold or money worth more than £31,250
  • RAS
    Options
    I can't find any reference to 8% and I've no idea what sum you put for rental income on your return to HMRC, as that is what the claim will be based on.

But...

You need to go over to the Child Support forum because:

There have been instances of NRPs paying maintenance to a PWC after the PWC has a CSA reference, and then being told to pay CSA for the same period. Take advice before you make any further payments.

It's unclear whether you are currently liable to pay for your daughter; it may well be that mum needs to ask for her to be added to the claim in September.

There is a rather informative thread called Paying back father who made fraudulent claims. He may have told porkies at time, but doesn't seem to have paid less than legally required.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure