Switching fibre for the first time

Options
Hello everyone.
I've been with EE (fibre broadband only) for a few years and this years contract is ending. I've seen cheaper options from other providers like Now & Plusnnet. They are also offering money cards and it's so tempting to switch.
These companies also seem to be saying I don't need to phone EE to cancel and that they will handle everything for me, is this correct?
For those that are used to switching services, has everything been seamless for you? The new router will arrive, a switch on date will be emailed, EE will send me an email to confirm I will no longer have their service on the same date and will want their router returned and finally, hopefully I will be connected on the day.

Thank you for your time :)

Sealed Pot Challenge 15  #78

Debt Free: July 2022.

Comments

• skycatcher
    skycatcher Posts: 330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If everything works as it should then yes it should be a seamless move to new supplier without you having to contact the old supplier.
  • Micron
    Micron Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2022 at 7:08PM
    Options

After being with Pusnet for over ten years I switched over to NOW a few days ago, the transition was virtually seamless, the internet connection was off only for how long it took to change over and turn on the new router, literally less than five minutes.

Plusnet advised me to make sure that my full home phone number was entered correctly on the NOW broadband order as this would automatically inform them of my intended move, which it did, within ten minutes of completing the NOW broadband order form I received a ‘Sorry you’re leaving us’ text and email.

I would happily return to Plusnet, their broadband service was faultless, unfortunately not so their billing, Plusnet seems to be totally incapable of calculating any discounts on an account for more than two consecutive months but all the problems were always quickly sorted out with a phone call.

So why did I move?  For the first time ever Plusnet wouldn’t match a cheaper suppliers price, so this year for me it’s NOW at £18 all in with free anytime calls, next year who knows which supplier I will be with, most probably the one that’s offering the best  ‘New customer only’ deal, why should an existing customer ever have pay any more than a new customer?

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When your new router is plugged in and connects it will set itself up, no need to do anything.  If you want a truly seamless handover when you get your new router plug it into your computer and change the SSID and password to the same as your existing and your devices won't even notice you have changed.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,559 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 April 2022 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Signed up to Plusnet a week or so ago, very easy no contacting the old supplier. Given a changeover date and the new router
    arrived the other day.  Sorry your leaving letter from my current ISP with information on what to do if I did not want to leave.

Couple of days it should be sorted, it was not hard to switch before but its even easier now.  Last time the internet went off so I
    plugged in the new router and made a cuppa and it was all back online..  Less than 30 minutes offline.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Richard_T_
    Richard_T_ Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Micron said:

After being with Pusnet for over ten years I switched over to NOW a few days ago, the transition was virtually seamless, the internet connection was off only for how long it took to change over and turn on the new router, literally less than five minutes.

Plusnet advised me to make sure that my full home phone number was entered correctly on the NOW broadband order as this would automatically inform them of my intended move, which it did, within ten minutes of completing the NOW broadband order form I received a ‘Sorry you’re leaving us’ text and email.

I would happily return to Plusnet, their broadband service was faultless, unfortunately not so their billing, Plusnet seems to be totally incapable of calculating any discounts on an account for more than two consecutive months but all the problems were always quickly sorted out with a phone call.

So why did I move?  For the first time ever Plusnet wouldn’t match a cheaper suppliers price, so this year for me it’s NOW at £18 all in with free anytime calls, next year who knows which supplier I will be with, most probably the one that’s offering the best  ‘New customer only’ deal, why should an existing customer ever have pay any more than a new customer?

molerat said:
    When your new router is plugged in and connects it will set itself up, no need to do anything.  If you want a truly seamless handover when you get your new router plug it into your computer and change the SSID and password to the same as your existing and your devices won't even notice you have changed.

I recently moved from Plusnet to Now after being with plusnet for almost 20 years, and upto then plusnet have always been able to offer a competitive deal - which meant i stayed with them each time renewal came along .
    This time round it was completely different as if Plusnet retentions didnt care, they seemed bored  un interested , and flat out refused to even come near any competitors deals - in previous years it was a completely different experience with them being keen and enthusiastic to keep me as a customer , i tried a couple of times to see if this was a one off but with the same results.

As for singing upto Now, no complaints it all went smoothly .
     If you are moving ISP ( that is one that uses openreach)  never cancel with your old provider sign up with the new one and everything should flow from there
     As for Now, make sure that you enter your phone number into the easy to miss box, and tick the box for keeping my number .

As for the router, Molerat has it right - if you have a P.C/laptop you can even set the SSID ( wifi name) and password to match your old/current  router before it goes live , once you have set the wifi name/password to match the old / current router you can unplug the new one and turn it off until activation day then its just  case of swapping them round

One thing to watch out for though is that most ISP routers ( including plusnet and now as well as BT, talk talk etc) are basic devices if your wifi isnt that good then you may need to get your own equipment/router and not all routers work with sky/now
  • rancid-a
    rancid-a Posts: 393 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2022 at 9:48AM
    Options
    Guys, thank you! you've all been very helpful.

Edited for a quick update:
    I've decided to go with Plusnet at £25 per month including a £75 reward card, signed up through USwitch. I did notice that I could redo my EE contract at £30 saving £5 off my current price, but I would have to stay with them for 2 years. Once the Plusnet contract ends, I'll take another look at what's available.

Thank you!

• rancid-a
    edited 22 May 2022 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Hi all :)
    Another little update. Everything has gone well. The router arrived, a few days later while I was at work, Plusnet txt me to say my broadband was now working. When I got home, I swapped over the routers and turned the new one on.

Up & running a few minutes later :) I can't believe changing was so easy and I'm saving £15 a month!!

Looking forward to that reward card/voucher too!

Thanks

Edited on 22 May for an update:
    My £75 prepaid Mastercard arrived on the 21st May. It works fine, just a bit of faffing around trying to get it to activate :)

• rancid-a
    Options
    Hi all!!
    Well, my Plusnet contract is coming to an end next month. I've been really happy with the service aver the past 18 months, no problems.

They have sent me an email to say after my contract ends, my monthly price will go up from £28 to £54. Although they provided me with a link to set up another 12 month contract for £28.

Unfortunately the Plusnet website isn't working from me, from desktop, mobile phone or even following links from their email or community forum - and there's nothing about the issue on their own forum.

I might make the jump to another provider if Plusnet don't sort out their website woes in a day or two....looking for those ££ vouchers :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport