Ever increasing fuel bills

Options
:mad: Having worked within the prison service for twenty years, and had the pleasure of dealing with the 'worst of the worst', I would like to reassure everyone who is struggling to make ends meet, that murderers/rapists/child abusers etc, are never faced with the option of heating or eating. Have we, as a society, got our priorities wrong in allowing government to turn a blind eye to ever rising gas/electricity prices. 'Prudence' wouldn't have had his teeth 'fixed' if he was living on my pension!:mad:

Comments

• computerwoman
    Options
    why not start a pertition about it as i know what you mean its stupid having to pay this much...I remember the every house should have a gas fire and central heating which has only served to make us all poor and the every house should have a pc drive now they are going on about carbon footprints seems to me and I have had this assumption for alot of years that the mp's so called government haven't a clue what they are doing...:D

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I don't understand the relevance of the prison service and 'Prudence's teeth' to high fuel bills?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The oap's winter fuel allowance is meant to cover this sort of thing. The £200 goes a long way to helping me keep warm.
    Maybe the law needs changing but at present a mans sentence is that 'he be deprived of his liberty for the duration'. Nothing about starving them or freezing them to death.
    If I had my way, anyone deserving a punishment of more than five years would be shot, thus a huge saving on the prison service costs..less prisons, less prison officers.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I cant afford to heat my home during the day, and only when kids get home from school/college. Fuel is getting a luxury item these days it is a must have thing we need to to heat our food, and our homes to keep us a alive.

I am angry too and it is just climbing up way above what any small modest rise in our incomes are and you can only go so far as to absorb these costs without you having to cut back on other things

TBH I find it unfair that the winter fuel allowance is just paid to oap. For example I have a daughter is who frail, and has poor circulation and we are fighting to even get disability living allowance, I would be happy with even a small amount just to help with fuel and travelling costs for her

We are just going out soon to pick of some pallets to burn on a stove because we are trying to keep home warm without increasing our gas bill too much. We only have the stove and central heating. I have already shelled out £160 on logs this year and have enough logs to last to about Feb maybe March at a stretched, getting wood hopefully will make it last that bit longer but not by much. I keep trying to find new sources of free wood just saw house is kept warm

Mind you we got to cut pallets up and the last 4 days its been freezing outside so we cant do it until its a warmish day
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Agree Poppycat...I had a small Rayburn for years, would burn anything, old furniture, pallet wood, logs. Wood everywhere, just for the sawing. There is an old tale about getting three "warms" from wood.Once when you chop it down, again when you saw and chop into logs and finally when burnt. So a good MoneysavingExpert trick.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Poppycat, where do you live? Any local woodlands within reach? That's where my grandparents found all their logs and other firewood. They never went into woodlands just for a walk, never returned empty-handed. After the recent gales there will be lots of fallen branches and dead wood.

HTH

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I live in Scarborough North Yorkshire we do have Dalby forest about 10 miles away from us. Although most is conifer no good for a stove and its also private land so must ask permission

I had my eye on 4 pallets the last few days and have permission to get them. Went today to get them (they were there last night) and they were gone someone else got them, damn.

Trouble is with using wood from broken branches Margaret is that it isn't seasoned so can cause tar build up in the chimney plus they dont burn to well either

I have lots of old wood in garage but its of no use yet as its too wet
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poppycat wrote: »
    I have lots of old wood in garage but its of no use yet as its too wet
    Can you keep a box or pile of it near the stove to dry out, or no space?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I keep my logs in a old garage and we wheel them to the house in a barrow (2 days supply a barrow load, not overfilled) then out them in a large washing basket. We then load 2-3 buckets loads into house and fill at side of stove to dry out whilst its on so dont have anymore more space for branches etc

Pallets are good and tend to dry quick but burn to quickly and at once stage the floor near burner was so hot (laminate floor) is started to buckle slightly
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Can you keep a box or pile of it near the stove to dry out, or no space?
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    glassback wrote: »
    :mad: Having worked within the prison service for twenty years, and had the pleasure of dealing with the 'worst of the worst', I would like to reassure everyone who is struggling to make ends meet, that murderers/rapists/child abusers etc, are never faced with the option of heating or eating. Have we, as a society, got our priorities wrong in allowing government to turn a blind eye to ever rising gas/electricity prices. 'Prudence' wouldn't have had his teeth 'fixed' if he was living on my pension!:mad:

The government loast the plot a long time ago. They care less about the hard working masses than they do their own comfortable index linked pensions. Take the recent about turn by Mr Brown on supporting the pensioners who lost everything before the safety net was put in place as an example of this caring government. Sadly i am not overly convinced that the alternatives will be much better but i look forward to the next election. Bottom line is expect them to take all they can get away with an rely on them for nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure