Shell Energy fiber offer (deal unavailable for line - higher £ alternative same package

Options
 Got this offer here on MSE broadband checker for Shell Energy:

Tried to sign up but suddenly my line cant support that package (35Mb) and offered an alternative 38Mb package for £5.41 mnth extra ( includes offer credit)
 Is 35Mb vs 38Mb really an issue requiring 2 alternative contracts over an alleged 3Mb difference they cant dial down/overlook ? ,

Feels like its a Bait and Switch ? to come top of BB checker results   ( and wasting mine and other ppls time ) 

I know Its extreme but I dont see any other solution  .   . . .  .  Release the Lewis   B) 

Much appreciated  MSE  team and community for all the help and advice you give here  <3

Yours /        
              Notso errmm thingy

Comments

• notsoforgetable
    Options
     Jut got the exactly same result trying their 63Mb fiber offer for £18.58
    Unfortunately your telephone line cannot support the product you have selected. We can offer you these great value plans instead.

Fibre Broadband

Your estimated fibre download speed range is 38 - 76 Mbps

Please correct me if i've sneezed out the part of my brain responsible for basic math's & haven't  noticed ....

.... but isn't  63Mb  between the 38-76 range my line can support  . 

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    36-76 Mbps doesn't seem very impressive for fibre to me.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Got this offer here on MSE broadband checker for Shell Energy:
    Tried to sign up but suddenly my line cant support that package (35Mb) and offered an alternative 38Mb package for £5.41 mnth extra ( includes offer credit)
    They're both the same price.
    The MSE 35Mb "£16.58" offer screenshot shows that the contract is £21.99/month but with £65 bill credit.
    The 38Mb offer is also £21.99, also with £65 bill credit.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I had being searching for a new provider and it came up with it couldn't support over 38 Mb I would of reported them to the ombudsman as my line can get 43 Mb and 39 Mb through the VPN. 
    If I took the lower speed then after a few months they offered the increase I would have been asking why it wasn't available when I clicked on that speed to sign up and my line can support over 38 Mb downloads!
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • jellyfish76
    Options
    Same thing happening to me... although I don't get any mention of the £85 bill credit...

I get "6 months on us, terms apply" ... no idea what the terms are as I couldn't see anything mentioned about in in the promotional T&Cs. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback