We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Exorbitant Standing Charges affecting Solar Panel decisions
This might be a bit naive as I have only started to think about installing solar panels. It seems British Gas is more than doubling my standing charge. So if I stuck with them and had solar panels I would still be stuffed even if I reduce my dependency on them with the electricity I generate. So I guess the answer is to select a supplier with lower standing charges.
0
Comments
-
You're unlikely to find anyone with a lower standing charge, and even if you did they probably wouldn't accept you as a new customer.2
-
Welcome to the forum.
Fortunately, they've doubled your unit rate too, so solar panels make twice as much sense.Bogeyk said:This might be a bit naive as I have only started to think about installing solar panels. It seems British Gas is more than doubling my standing charge.- In April 2021 you were (probably) paying around 14p/kWh for electricity. 1000kWh generated by solar and then used would have saved you £140.
- In April 2022 you are (probably) paying 28p/kWh for electricity. 1000kWh generated-and-used will save you £280.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.2 -
Bogeyk said:This might be a bit naive as I have only started to think about installing solar panels. It seems British Gas is more than doubling my standing charge. So if I stuck with them and had solar panels I would still be stuffed even if I reduce my dependency on them with the electricity I generate. So I guess the answer is to select a supplier with lower standing charges.You could go completely off-grid.What you are hoping for is effectively the up-side of cheap solar, without paying the costs associated with a grid supplying you when the sun isn't shining. There's only one realistic way of doing that - pay the costs of establishing your own off-grid energy security.1
-
So instead of £61 a year on standing charge you'll be paying £168? That's a huge increase percentage wise, but thinking about the amount of £££ you'll be saving by using solar, I think it's not too bad at all.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
