The £150 Council Tax rebate ?

Comments

• hmmm the last update on my council's website is from February, says it will be paid in April and that they'll update when full guidance from the gov is published... has the gov guidance been published yet?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    chubsta said:
    Am I reading this correctly, once the council takes my money off me via DD, I will get the 150 back?
    You would like to think so, but checking the Gov website it says that the Councils have to pay it to you before the end of September - I am guessing the majority will leave it sitting inter accounts collecting interest until the very last moment...
    That's exactly what I thought. Councils will hang on to it until the very last minute. However, my council has informed us that it will be paid 'at some point between the beginning of April and the end of May'. Great. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,247
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    gfcderby said:
    The bit I don't understand is that councils are saying it is a software problem - they knew about this a while ago anyway but surely isn't it just a case of amending one direct debit instruction?
    Nope. My council website says they have to pay the money to the person named on the bill. That’s not necessary the same person who is paying it, so there may be extra checks to be done. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • andycov30
    andycov30 Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have a 100% exemption from council tax , will I receive the 150.00?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,247
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    From gov.uk, it depends in the reason for your exemption.

2. Will I be eligible for the council tax rebate?

Households are eligible where, on 1 April 2022, they are liable for council tax on a property which is in council tax bands A-D and which they live in as their main home. This includes those who receive Local Council Tax Support, even if their council tax bill for the year is less than £150.

Where the occupants of a property in bands A - D are exempt from council tax on 1 April 2022, they will also be eligible if the property falls in one of the following classes of exemption: Class N (students – other than HMOs for council tax purposes), Class S (under 18s), Class U (people with a severe mental impairment), Class W (annexes occupied by a dependent relative)

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 1,986
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2022 at 2:57PM
    Well.. half way through April still no information from the ' cheese & wine partying during everyones Covid19 crisis'  Tories if the payment is due maybe we will see it mid Sept when they have made enough interest on it to start payments? 

:j
  • borders
    borders Posts: 682
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm in Scotland. Already had it via a £150 reduction on my April payment.. So has everybody else I've asked in other council areas in Scotland. 

Scottish councils had a little less time to organise this but have managed to do it ok. No idea why English councils are finding it so difficult. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,814
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    borders said:
    I'm in Scotland. Already had it via a £150 reduction on my April payment.. So has everybody else I've asked in other council areas in Scotland. 

Scottish councils had a little less time to organise this but have managed to do it ok. No idea why English councils are finding it so difficult. 

Because England are paying the money to people, not applying it to the council tax bill like up here.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    borders said:

Mine is being spread over the 10 months payments so I've had a £15 reduction in April. (Argyll and Bute council).
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,496
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The council won't pay until they have taken the DD & confirmed it still exists - they haven't used them since January mostly.   As my DD isn't due out until the 15th so actually the 19th due to bank hols I do not expect mine until the end of this month at the earliest.  We need to remember that the councils are not set up for refunding people.  The Scottish way was easier for the council because it was just a minus figure on the bill, which the councils are set up to do as they already do at least the 25% single person discount, English councils were not allowed to do that as £15 per month would have no impact.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback