Non-Sterling Transaction Fee Charged Unfairly

Options
2»

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do I have right to recourse here or is it just one of those things I'm going to have to swallow?
    Nationwide have charged in accordance of their published tarrif and have done absolutely nothing wrong.  There are no grounds for complaint against them.

It is also worth noting that Nationwide does not pocket all of that charge.  The card processor receives the bulk of it.

I was not due to pay anything until 2nd May and so the bank should as a matter of good customer service reverse the charge.
    And why should other customers of Nationwide have to fund this?

Unfortunately for me, Nationwide aren't famed for good customer service, so I'm going to get blind drunk to calm my rage in anticipation that I'll get nowhere!
    But Nationwide have done nothing wrong.  You are blaming the wrong party and should be claiming your out-of-pocket costs from the company that is at fault.  i.e. the Hotel.

You clearly don't live in the real world!
    I'm afraid it is you that isn't. 
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I always find it very odd on this forum when someone suffers an injustice like this through no fault of their own and everyone piles in to tell them to suck it up rather than do anything about it. It's almost like people take some perverse glee from getting to lord it over someone who's suffered misfortune. It's pretty bizarre.

Anyway, I would absolutely complain to Nationwide about this, they might say no but under the circumstances they could show some discretion and cancel the charge out of goodwill. I've had them do that for me before in a slightly different situation so it's worth a try.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always find it very odd on this forum when someone suffers an injustice like this through no fault of their own and everyone piles in to tell them to suck it up rather than do anything about it. It's almost like people take some perverse glee from getting to lord it over someone who's suffered misfortune. It's pretty bizarre.
    There is a misjustice trying to get Nationwide to compensate for this.    The responses have said that the OP should go back to the hotel and get them to pay it.   

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Anyway, I would absolutely complain to Nationwide about this, they might say no but under the circumstances they could show some discretion and cancel the charge out of goodwill. I've had them do that for me before in a slightly different situation so it's worth a try.
    No-one is saying to suck it up, we are saying the OP needs to complain to the right people.

Nationwide charged a fee in line with their terms and conditions, they charged the second fee as a result of the hotel charging OP again - the hotel is at fault, the hotel should refund the charge the OP got as a result of their mistake.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The hotel should refund those charges. Also use a card that doesn't have these forex fees
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback