We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ratio of Sand to Compost?

I want to plant a lot more this year so will have to use containers. I have already used all my homemade compost on my raised beds so have purchased peat free compost for the containers. I remember my Grandad used to do container planting and would mix in sharp sand, but have no idea on ratios. A quick google brings up anything from 50/50 to 70/30. Do you guys have any preference/guidance about what works best for you. I will be growing carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, peas, leeks and potatoes.

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ah but your Grandad wasn't using peat free compost.
    The peaty compost holds water a lot better, the peat free, as a generalisation, not knowing what it's made of will possibily dry out a lot quicker.
    Why not try some in a middling plastic pot, soak through from a saucer/pot whatever and leave to see how it reacts. With the current wind that shouldn't be long!
    It will give you an idea.
    Potatoes will grow almost anywhere because they have the tuber to see them through, cucumbers will need a lot of water so I wouldn't put sand there.
    Don't suppose there is any chance of ingredients on the bag? Not often. Maybe the name of the company that makes it people could compare and advise.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• I had already worked out that sand in the mix probably won't help my thirstier plants like cucumbers and tomatoes, but thank you for confirming. It's Wickes own brand peat free compost. I do have some standard compost from Wickes also.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback