Crazy water bills

Hi folks, had my head in the sand for a while now and didn't notice the water bills doubling a few months ago...
Logged in to my account and the balance said £480, i then submitted a meter reading and it raised to £785! I pay £145 a month at the moment.
What I can't understand is the account doesn't say credit or debit.  I rang them to enquire and they stated that is the debt I am in!
This doesn't seem right to me. How can showing a balance of £700 in black mean it is what I owe them?

Advice appreciated folks because right now that is a hell of a lot of money and right now I can't tell who owes what!

Cheers.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 1 April 2022 at 12:56PM
    Assuming this is not an April fool's joke.
    What is your company?
    Do you have a meter?
    Is so how many cubic metres do your bills say you are using?
    If no meter  what is your Rateable Value(shown on bill)
  • mml224
    mml224 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No to April fools, United Utilities, yes to the meter, aparently since November we have averaged 650 litres a day.

I am going to check for a leak by turning the stop tap off and taking a read on either side, because this amount seems pretty crazy.

Still, why can I not tell from the account status above whether I am in credit or debit? To me, the screen is presented as if they have excess money of mine!
  • mml224
    There are two adults and two teens however... But I still have seen no evidence to suggest anyone has used that much water!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mml224 said:
    There are two adults and two teens however... But I still have seen no evidence to suggest anyone has used that much water!
    Doing a rough calculation 650 litres a day only equates to around £92 pcm, to get to £144 pcm you need to be using around 1,200 litres a day, which is high consumption even for four adults in the house. 

What is your actual usage over the whole of the last year? 

• mml224
    I cannot find how many cubic meters we use, but given they have stated .65m^3 average I guess that means .65*365=237.25 m^3 a year.
    £1.85/m3 water
    £1.241/m3 waste
    =£3.091*237.25=£733.33+other charges (standing etc..)../12£61

Which would be fine, if only I knew what the £785.20 was referring to in the balance above! Crazy there is absolutely no reference to it being owed to myself or the water company or am I missing something obvious here?

• mml224
    Just to add, our original monthly amount was about £68 a few months ago. Something has made them put the D/D up and it points to the 700 figure being a debt, so to speak.
  • mml224
    I've left the stop tap on for an hour and the meter has not moved. I am not aware of any leaks in the house, and as there is a cellar, they should be easy enough to find I'd think. The plumbers that come to this (rented) place are useless though and I have had to repair a leak they caused previously, but it was almost non-existant...
  • MattMattMattUK
    mml224 said:
    Which would be fine, if only I knew what the £785.20 was referring to in the balance above! Crazy there is absolutely no reference to it being owed to myself or the water company or am I missing something obvious here?
    What are you viewing that on, if you try on the proper website, rather than the web version is it any clearer? 
  • mml224
    mml224 said:
    What are you viewing that on, if you try on the proper website, rather than the web version is it any clearer? 
    Exactly the same on the main website. I only used the phone as I figured it would be easier to paste here.
  • MattMattMattUK
    mml224 said:
    mml224 said:
    Exactly the same on the main website. I only used the phone as I figured it would be easier to paste here.
    Is there an actual bill/invoice you can access, rather than just that front page?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback