Switching on standard variable rates

I am currently with Scottish Power but having ongoing issues with the daily charging and kilowatt recordings on their app. After several communications and escalated complaints they have finally admitted via email that their app does not function properly. It is not fit for purpose. There is no differentiation for day & night electricity charges, therefore charges incorrect and the gas kilowatt hours are erratic and not accurate. Some days we have costs of £13k, yet smart reader snd seemingly smart meter seem ok. Their ‘action’ is that the differentiated electricity charges are in development and from tomorrow all gas costs will be removed from the app, showing kilowatt usage only. Highly unacceptable, especially when now more than ever customers need to accurately know their daily spend. 

Anyway I really want to switch provider on a poor customer service level and non functional app tool basis, not to save money. All comparison sites do not seem to allow switching as only high cost fixed rates are available. I would be really grateful if someone could advise if and how you can switch to a different provider on their standard variable rate?

Also is there a clear table or resource where you can compare standard variable charges from 1st April?

Thank you, Neal 

Comments

• Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Is it just the mobile app you have an issue with, or your actual account?
  • Just the mobile app after a lot of investigation and communication. Still not wholly convinced by the smart meter and reader but does appear to be the app as billing largely in line with expected costs when I provide actual meter readings. 
  • Ultrasonic
    Just the mobile app after a lot of investigation and communication. Still not wholly convinced by the smart meter and reader but does appear to be the app as billing largely in line with expected costs when I provide actual meter readings. 
    Does the website show the correct information for you? If it does I see no reason for you to go through the hassle of trying to change anything. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time  :).
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could switch to EDF (only if you phone them) but I fear you'd find them just as bad in different ways.
  • The website reports the same incorrect daily usage as the app. SP cannot understand how and why the usage & therefore charges are incorrect. Thankfully the billing is ok as actual meter readings (or smart reader) override the wildly incorrect daily charges on the app/website. 

All I want to know is IF you can change providers on standard variable so I can have an accurate handle on daily usage
  • Ultrasonic
    The website reports the same incorrect daily usage as the app. SP cannot understand how and why the usage & therefore charges are incorrect. Thankfully the billing is ok as actual meter readings (or smart reader) override the wildly incorrect daily charges on the app/website. 

All I want to know is IF you can change providers on standard variable so I can have an accurate handle on daily usage
    That's more worrying. I wouldn't try to switch away until it is resolved though personally, as I'd fear that could make the switch a nightmare that you'd wish you'd never started.

If this has been going on a while you could begin the formal complaint procedure with SP.

As above you might be able to switch to EDF or Octopus if you phone them though.
  • Thanks. I’ve been through a formal complaint for last few months but they closed it as they couldn’t resolve the app/website function! This is not limited to me but all customers I’m told. My billing isn’t affected just daily usage and therefore published costs are wildly innacruate. For example the app version of monthly costs for March are over £280, yet when I do actual meter reading shortly the actual charges will be around £135 (in line with smart reader). Therefore billing correct and app/website wildly incorrect, yet usage meant to be from our meter or smart reader. SP cannot diagnose, hence the need to switch 
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thanks. I’ve been through a formal complaint for last few months but they closed it as they couldn’t resolve the app/website function! This is not limited to me but all customers I’m told. My billing isn’t affected just daily usage and therefore published costs are wildly innacruate. For example the app version of monthly costs for March are over £280, yet when I do actual meter reading shortly the actual charges will be around £135 (in line with smart reader). Therefore billing correct and app/website wildly incorrect, yet usage meant to be from our meter or smart reader. SP cannot diagnose, hence the need to switch 
    So bills are all good just a naff website and app. 

Maybe consider giving Octopus a call I did read they will take on Ew customers by phone but cannot confirm this myself so maybe worth a try.

Caveat being they will be busy for the best few days with people trying to give them their latest meter readings as the lemmings follow the lemmings.
  • Ultrasonic
    Thanks. I’ve been through a formal complaint for last few months but they closed it as they couldn’t resolve the app/website function! This is not limited to me but all customers I’m told. My billing isn’t affected just daily usage and therefore published costs are wildly innacruate. For example the app version of monthly costs for March are over £280, yet when I do actual meter reading shortly the actual charges will be around £135 (in line with smart reader). Therefore billing correct and app/website wildly incorrect, yet usage meant to be from our meter or smart reader. SP cannot diagnose, hence the need to switch 
    The Scottish Power website seems OK to me but I've only been with them for a couple of weeks and have single rate electricity. I'm doubtful all customers are having your issues though or we'd have probably seen more threads about it here. Obviously what matters to you is how it performs for you.

You could raise this with the Energy Ombudsman as it's clearly not acceptable:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/making-complaint-about-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

• Might have to go down that route. If what their app development team tell me is correct then no gas charges will be provided from tomorrow, only kilowatt usage. One of the more helpful and knowledgeable customer service team advised it the incorrect app was a wider issue, not just me. 

If I move to Octopus (or another) is there a standard variable comparison tool for reference? 

Thanks for the support too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure