We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Energy websites crash as customers rush to submit their meter readings - DON'T panic, you have time

Options
123457»

Comments

• JoT99
    JoT99 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    WARNING - I have a smart meter and so the advice has been that there was no need to submit a meter reading on 31st March 2022. However, got my bill today to find that British Gas have estimated the reading! And guess what, they have underestimated! I know this because I took photos of my meter readings on 31st March, just in case. Good job I did. How many others have been caught out by this but did not take a reading because they should not have had to? How much money are British Gas making if they are doing this across the board to customers with a smart meter?
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JoT99 said:
    WARNING - I have a smart meter and so the advice has been that there was no need to submit a meter reading on 31st March 2022. However, got my bill today to find that British Gas have estimated the reading! And guess what, they have underestimated! I know this because I took photos of my meter readings on 31st March, just in case. Good job I did. How many others have been caught out by this but did not take a reading because they should not have had to? How much money are British Gas making if they are doing this across the board to customers with a smart meter?
    It is likely that submitting a reading would have made no difference, as the smart meter submitted a reading, the issue is more likely to do with the huge number of people submitting readings causing issues with the system. The advice was also not to submit a reading if on a smart meter, but to take pictures of the meters displaying the readings so that these could be used if needed. It is also likely that once the smart meter data has been properly processed then an amended bill will be issued, contacting them may or may not accelerate that process.

BG are likely not making anything extra from this as it will all get resolved. 
  • pigput
    pigput Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I'm with EDF and last submitted my meter readings on 19th March. Due to a mixup with me and my wife we didn't do them on or around the 31st.

I'm now getting texts from EDF to say I need to submit my readings.

Should I do this now? Or leave it with the last reading?

Thanks in advance 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pigput said:
    Hi

I'm with EDF and last submitted my meter readings on 19th March. Due to a mixup with me and my wife we didn't do them on or around the 31st.

I'm now getting texts from EDF to say I need to submit my readings.

Should I do this now? Or leave it with the last reading?

Thanks in advance 
    You should submit a meter readings, refusing to submit a meter reading when requested makes no sense. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback