We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Energy websites crash as customers rush to submit their meter readings - DON'T panic, you have time

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do miss People's Energy.  Read the meters on the 13th every month.  Not the last day of the month because the websites are always busy as indeed am I.  Put the readings on their site - 1 hour later print off my bill.  Trying to get a bill from British gas is like getting blood from a stone.  3 times I've been asked to enter readings so they can produce a bill over the last 3 months & I have done so promptly.  Still no bill yet.  Took them 3 months to set up a DD.  Last time I spoke to them they asked me to do a survey & for once I said yes.  I think they may regret it, but I carefully didn't swear.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I refuse to believe these websites are down by people submitting meter readings.

This is complete nonsense I believe they have deliberately pulled their websites down to stop people from putting meter readings which may or may not read a lot higher than true readings.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Couldn't get on to E.On's site to supply meter readings at all yesterday but managed at 6.30am today - working very smoothly.
  • The_Green_Hornet
    The_Green_Hornet Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 April 2022 at 4:47PM
    Options
    EDF have just implemented a queuing system on their My Account Login web page.

https://my.edfenergy.com/user/login

I expect the other suppliers will follow suit.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April 2022 at 6:09PM
    Options

Unfortunately it's made very little difference.

Yup, now you have to queue only to find it still doesn't work properly.  httpimagesdigitalspycoukforumsmiliesrolleyesgif
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    Gerry1 said:

Unfortunately it's made very little difference.

Yup, now you have to queue only to find it still doesn't work properly.  httpimagesdigitalspycoukforumsmiliesrolleyesgif
    Works properly for me.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Husband read meters (both EDF) on 31/03, couldn't get on the website. He was able to get on, on 01/04 and input readings with date of 31/03. He says I'm worrying too much as he arranged fixed rate last year but I've read so many horror stories that I'm getting stressed. Should I worry so much ?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Husband read meters (both EDF) on 31/03, couldn't get on the website. He was able to get on, on 01/04 and input readings with date of 31/03. He says I'm worrying too much as he arranged fixed rate last year but I've read so many horror stories that I'm getting stressed. Should I worry so much ?
    No, it's not a concern if you're still on a fixed tariff from last year. In your case the reading that matters will be the one at the end of your tariff.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    k_man said:
    Don't panic says the website that helped cause the panic in the first place.

It has highlighted a couple of things though.

1) The suppliers' websites are woefully under specified for traffic volumes
    2) Customers don't regularly submit end of month meter readings
    Designing a system with enough capacity for the spike of traffic today would be overkill for the rest of the year.

Especially when the traffic increased again, as a result of the MSM coverage of this, as previously unaware users rush to submit before the perceived deadline.

The next price cap rise may include a line item for increasing system capacity to cope with the next rise date!

With hindsight the message from MSE should have been to make a note of the meter reading, just in case, rather than make sure you submit today (which is actually a day early anyway).
    And the power companies should have sent out a message in anticipation.

In this day & age you don't size a system to cope with the anticipated peak - you spec it to autoscale up & down based on workload.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback