Batteries are they worth it...

Options

Comments

• Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please, can you stop slagging off Chinese manufacturers in general? Sweeping statements are of very little help and can cause offence. Personal experience of specific brands is much more useful. 
    Experience has been provided by several elsewhere on this forum. Offense is regretable but my intention is not to sugarcoat reality. 
    94JDH said:
    That's a fairly broad statement, I have run the numbers and for me it's definitely worth the investment - it all depends on your personal circumstances and usage.
    Care to share more about your usage/ circumstances and projected ROI? Solarchaser shared a ROI of 12 years (mine was 15), which to me extends beyond the warranty of the product itself, and therefore suboptimal in my view. 
    You are gonna get a shock when you do your calculations about your solar panels then.

Very expensive panels take alot more time ti pay back
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • pioneer
    pioneer Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gefnew said:
    So here is my own  experience Chinese panels German inverter, install 2011 November still outputting the same as the day of install.
    SMA 4000tl Inverter good software support for keeping a check of things.
    Do not forget that your first choice LG have stopped making panels, so where is the support in that type of purchase.
    I have the same inverter, can we get decent batteries for our systems ? (without changing inverter)
    "Didn't I try to Warn them I said !"
    David Essex War of the Worlds.
    "Thats Ancient History, Been There! Done That!" Hercules
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    No problem here yet with Growatt, apart from their app not being the best - though it's early days. I've been reliably told that western manufacturers know their IP will be ripped off when they manufacture in China, but the cost savings are so great that they're willing to put up with it and try to keep one step ahead. It's even written into some contracts that they won't attempt to take action for infringement of IP. I'd suspect that many of the Chinese batteries work in a very similar way and contain very similar stuff to the batteries for western manufacturers made in the same factories 6 months earlier.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Guru861
    Guru861 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Wow this blew up. Thanks for insight. I think with costs as they are will have to opt without battery and look to add in the future
  • 2nd_time_buyer
    2nd_time_buyer Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2022 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Guru861 said:
    Wow this blew up. Thanks for insight. I think with costs as they are will have to opt without battery and look to add in the future
    If you think you will probably add storage later, an option would be to get a hybrid inverter installed now and a single e.g. 2.4kwh Pylontech battery. That would conceivablly be around £1100-1300 uplift. You can then add extra modulus yourself if/when you can afford to. 
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 April 2022 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Solarchaser said:

You are gonna get a shock when you do your calculations about your solar panels then.

Very expensive panels take alot more time ti pay back
    My calculations were done in 2019, the year of installation. I'm fortunate to be able to absorb the extra cost as I wanted the best available panels given the limited, hard to access roof area. I update a thread for all who are interested in their performance.  
    Do not forget that your first choice LG have stopped making panels, so where is the support in that type of purchase.
    I haven't forgotten - see attached below. It's not just their solar panels. I recently had a replacement power board fitted to my 5 year old LG OLED television, long out of warranty, at zero cost to me. 

Would you be willing to place a friendly wager on the likelihood of receiving the same from GoWatt/ Sofar/ Insert brand here? 

-  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • flyinggoose
    flyinggoose Posts: 38 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't forgotten - see attached below. It's not just their solar panels. I recently had a replacement power board fitted to my 5 year old LG OLED television, long out of warranty, at zero cost to me. 

Would you be willing to place a friendly wager on the likelihood of receiving the same from GoWatt/ Sofar/ Insert brand here? 

I asked my installer about the warranty reliability when it came to the solar panels of Chinese brands after reading your comments on these forums, he said in the event of a panel fault they don't contact the manufacturer, they just contact their supplier who sorts it out and gets them a replacement, I'm unsure about how it would work with inverters though, didn't ask about inverters as I'm getting a solaredge Inverter installed.
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my inverters a samil luckily its  never gone  wrong but the warranty is worthless as  no longer do business  in uk and the supplier went bust when the  govt  moved  the  goalpost with  fit . i  try to avoid Chinese products when i can not  because of quality but their appalling human rights record
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback