Batteries are they worth it...

Options

Comments

• 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Guru861 said:
    Hi, I am trying to get quotes for solar panels. So far only one company has responded.

They have quoted with a battery and one without. The system with the battery is roughly 10k and the one without is roughly 6k.

Is the extra for a battery worth it?

We spend a lot of time at home during the day at the moment due to working from home.

Short answer is, no. Batteries do not make financial sense at this time and probably never will with the advent of vehicle to home charging technology (charge your car during the day and the EV handles your nighttime household requirements). We are only a few years away from being able to go 10 months of the year without using the grid in the UK.

But rooftop solar definitely does, especially if you WFH and plan on owning an EV in the future. ROI on a system with no Chinese brands (Hyundai panels, Solar Edge inverter, 20 year warranty) are now approaching ~7 years before EV savings are factored in. 
    That's a fairly broad statement, I have run the numbers and for me it's definitely worth the investment - it all depends on your personal circumstances and usage.
    18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2022 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Short answer yes, mine are doing very well at the moment, was looking like a 12 ish year payback, but with the recent increase in prices, it will pay back even quicker.

As 94JDH says above, its a very individual thing.
    Most important thing is heavy usage.
    If over 5mwh annually,  they will make good sense, under 3mwh and they are unlikely too.
    Combined with solar makes a far better prospect than just grid charging 

Edit. Spelling
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My opinion is that a solar system without storage is only half of a system; what's the point in having something which only gives you the ability to run your lights during daytime?
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    The numbers worked for me too, just not quite as well as for the panels alone. Extra cost for battery £2,600. Keeps us going through the night if fully charged. Even if that's only 60% of the time it will save about £400 a year in electricity. Take off a chunk of that to cover electricity that hasn't been exported, but add some for the half-charged nights and for cycles during the day...should have easily paid for itself in its 10 year guarantee period.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 April 2022 at 1:02PM
    Options
    Please, can you stop slagging off Chinese manufacturers in general? Sweeping statements are of very little help and can cause offence. Personal experience of specific brands is much more useful. 
    Experience has been provided by several elsewhere on this forum. Offense is regretable but my intention is not to sugarcoat reality. 
    94JDH said:
    That's a fairly broad statement, I have run the numbers and for me it's definitely worth the investment - it all depends on your personal circumstances and usage.
    Care to share more about your usage/ circumstances and projected ROI? Solarchaser shared a ROI of 12 years (mine was 15), which to me extends beyond the warranty of the product itself, and therefore suboptimal in my view. 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    Please, can you stop slagging off Chinese manufacturers in general? Sweeping statements are of very little help and can cause offence. Personal experience of specific brands is much more useful. 
    Experience has been provided by several elsewhere on this forum. Offense is regretable but my intention is not to sugarcoat reality. 
    94JDH said:
    Care to share more about your usage/ circumstances and projected ROI? Solarchaser shared a ROI of 12 years (mine was 15), which to me extends beyond the warranty of the product itself, and therefore suboptimal in my view. 
    My experience is growatt are Chinese and they are poor.
    Lux is Chinese and very good.

Compare Austin with rolls Royce......
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 883 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Then it would be SMA  at the top.
  • 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2022 at 5:37PM
    Options
    To summarise from memory: 

Swapped from EDF eco 20:20 ( was EDF Go electric 98 previously but this is the equivalent variable rate version) to Octopus Go fortunately taking advantage of 4 hour tarrif at 5p prior to increase to 7.5p
    Calculation is based on 7.2kW array with two 9.5kW batteries for two inverters for reference

Capability of the batteries being just short of 7000kW in a year via solar or cheap charging ( and yes they will be fully used/cycled especially with mileage on EV).

Let's be conservative and assume 3,500kW is generated by solar and the other 3,500kW by means of cheap charging window on Octopus Go.

Solar would have cost me approx £650 if this was charged on cheap rate ( not day rate, this would be even more).
    Battery charging difference between EDF and Octopus Go would be approx £475.
    I also do some high mileage which I will be charging back to the company at 5p per mile which again is approximately £1000.

Totalling all this up is £2,125 without any benefit from potential extra capacity on solar etc and this also assumes a difference in rates of night rate and not the day rate where there would be more a potential for more savings.

So for me it will be a benefit based on my particular circumstances and usage, but obviously there are variables out of my control. Energy prices will go up on October, but are likely to come down again, to what level nobody knows as yet

Payback purely on what I have summarised has the potential to be as low as 7 years ( but I expect that to creep towards 10 years with energy prices likely to drop in the future).

94JDH said:

18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback