We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Plants at Lidl

Options
Misslayed
Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
Two branches of Lidl close to me have pink or red upright and trailing pelargoniums in now. Pack of 6 is £3.99. The plants look healthy and strong. I bought some in 2019, and quite a few are still going strong, despite being outside all winter (on the south coast so relatively mild here). I'm only buying new because I want red, white and blue pots and baskets for the Queen's jubilee! There were upright and semi trailing fuchsias too, not sure of the price, I didn't buy any. I also bought basket and tub compost, £2.29, not sure what size but it was small enough for elderly gardeners like me to get into the trolley and then the car boot! 
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, here they've been outside in the snow, wind and hail. So I'll look at them tomorrow when it's easier to judge the damage. 

Aldi meantime have all their houseplants outside in the cold.

Lidl also have some reasonably priced citrus at £8.99 ; albeit a rather odd selection Calamondin (Philippine lime) and limequat. What most odd is that they appear to have two completely different varieties of each. One small-leaved trained onto a frame and the other much more compact with much larger leaves? The fruit on the compact fruit look a different shape but were immature.  
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,554 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 April 2022 at 5:57PM
    Options
    Tescos have a random selection but the small Acers caught my eye. They'd need some nurturing on but a lot cheaper than the garden centre.
    Just to add that Morrisons here have reopened their plant shop. New stock looks good so get before it's neglected.
    Not so sure about the prices. Some bargains like the £2 plants that came good for me, the topiary is a tad more expensive than Tescos but more variety.
    Sadly the larger plants are still an indulgent price.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport