Not entitled to benefits

Options
2»

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I queried on here recently following a conversation my teenage daughter had with me, about how young people managed to move out of the family home because it took me until I was 27 to earn and have enough money to do so by myself and the general consensus was that a house/flat share was the first step. As you've got to 23 and have managed to get a mortgage by yourself whilst only earning £19K then you've done really well.

I'm guessing you're already receiving the 25% off you council tax bill for a sole occupier? According to this site your monthly take home pay is about £1380 https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

You could probably do with posting your SOA (statement of affairs ie your income and outgoings). I'll suggest on the debt free wannabe board. It's not solely for people in debt but on there you'll find posters used to scrutinising budgets and making suggestions where cuts can be made.  
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Most benefits require you to get a disability sign off, then you get extra on top of the standard, especially if there are other family members disabled and then you can cross claim carers allowance for each other. If you are single and no children you get minimal, but you are trying hard by bettering yourself so it is a bit unfair/frustrating. Good luck, keep going.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    arnoldy said:
    Most benefits require you to get a disability sign off, then you get extra on top of the standard, especially if there are other family members disabled and then you can cross claim carers allowance for each other. If you are single and no children you get minimal, but you are trying hard by bettering yourself so it is a bit unfair/frustrating. Good luck, keep going.
    Not sure what you mean by this.  With UC specifically the disability element (LCWRA) is worth more than the carers element; a disabled person also caring for someone else cannot get both elements.  A disabled couple each providing care for each other will have one carers element and one LCWRA element on the claim at most.  If they both claim actual Carers Allowance this will be deducted in full from their UC.

Don't forget that to qualify for any disability benefit, the level of restriction on daily functioning is a very high threshold, and for income-replacement benefits the disability specifically has to limit one's ability to work and earn money and many people claiming those benefits cannot do *any* form of regular paid activity.  (The actual level of help available to people could indeed be said to be unfair, but that's outside the purpose of this board.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback