Not entitled to benefits

rosie2894
rosie2894 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 29 March 2022 at 4:43PM in Benefits & tax credits
I’m 23, live in North East England. I work full time, and I also study a degree full time, but because I study with the Open University, it’s classes as part time technically and I’m not entitled to students maintenance loans. 

I have a mortgage, which is cheaper than renting which is great. I down-graded my car, so instead of paying £181 a month, I now pay £80. I budget my food shop, don’t eat out much, I am careful with how I’m spending my money… I am single and live on my own. 

I seen articles on how families may be entitled to benefits even on a wage of £30/40k . I’ve done a few independent benefit calculators, including one from this website but yet I’m still not entitled to anything. My salary is £19,100. I am always very low on money once all the bills are paid, And yet I’m still being turned away for extra support, maybe because I don’t have kids? But how is this fair? Or how do some get benefits, and I’m not entitled to any support. I feel like the system is so messed up, getting worse with rising bills and fuel costs. I’m struggling with money, and have been for a number of years since moving out at 17 years old. 

Anyone know of anything that can be done? Thank you

Comments

• diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Unless you have kids a single person on that wage (without disabilities) is unlikely to qualify for anything 
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 March 2022 at 12:58AM
    Means-tested benefits are completely dependant on circumstances (they don't take actual outgoings into account, except for rent in social housing) and costs are rising for everyone.  

For a little bit of perspective, the standard allowance for a single person under 25 is currently £257.33 per month, or just over £3,000 per year.  If you had a child and/or were renting you would be entitled to a little bit more (not a huge amount and certainly not enough to heat a home and feed/wash/clothe yourself and a child) and most people's rent amount on UC doesn't cover their full rent, unless they are in social housing with no 'spare' bedrooms.  Single people under 35 renting are only entitled to the shared accommodation rate maximum, unless they are disabled or have a child.

The threshold for means-tested benefits is very low, and families claiming UC whilst earning £30k+ usually have at least one disabled person which can increase entitlement.

Edit: I hope none of this sounds judgemental, it's not meant to be.  It was certainly worth you asking to check you weren't missing anything. 

For people who have not claimed benefits it can be difficult to imagine the low amounts the government sets as subsistence levels without actually seeing the figures, contrary to what certain sections of society want us to believe about people trying to survive on benefits.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    rosie2894 said:

I seen articles on how families may be entitled to benefits even on a wage of £30/40k .
    Anyone know of anything that can be done? Thank you

Indeed the give away there would be "families." As a single person, with no rent and no children there will be no entitlement to any benefits. Unfortunately, they don't take into consideration the bills you have to pay.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Children are expensive things to look after!
    Is your home big enough to take in a lodger?  That can provide useful extra income and sharing of expenses. 
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, having studied full time for an undergraduate degree myself, I cannot understand how you are managing to work full time and study full time as well. Mine wasn't a distance learning degree but I was also working part time and wouldn't have been able to manage full time work at all as I wanted to graduate with a good degree. 

If you are single and earning £19k p.a. though, it's difficult to understand how you are struggling financially. I've never earned that much (although you may not think it's much). I have struggled financially in the past, which is why I am on this forum now but I am managing to survive on an income that's quite a bit smaller than yours. And run a pretty new car too. 

Have you actually spoken to anyone in the Finance department at the OU? Have you been able to claim any tuition fees?

Not to be rude but if you are struggling to manage financially, you could contact one of the free debt help agencies to see if they can advise you on money management. I like StepChange, since they helped me so much in the past. Not that I'm saying that you are in debt but they do give free financial advice. Which you can either take or ignore.

https://www.stepchange.org/  

With your income you surely won't be entitled to any benefits, particularly as you have no dependants. Please don't envy those people who are on benefits because they are probably not receiving enough to manage on anyway and it's getting more and more difficult for those who really need them to actually get them. 

You said, "I seen articles on how families may be entitled to benefits even on a wage of £30/40k".  Have you really? Families 'may be' entitled. . . . they also may not be.

You also say you are low on money once the bills have been paid.  You're lucky. Some people have no money.

Once you get your degree you will probably have the potential to earn more than you do now. Just hang on a bit longer.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • moneymoner
    moneymoner Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2022 at 1:30AM
    Have you looked into Tax Credits ? Your income is above the threshold for Income Support but not for Tax Credits or Council Tax benefits. You should also apply for a grant if you are with the OU. Being single you will struggle though getting most low income benefits with a £19K salary.

I'm not suggesting you do this but some people are better off financially working part-time with a lower salary and getting top-up benefits.
    Without complaints, there will be no progress.
    Blah Blah.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Have you looked into Tax Credits ? Your income is above the threshold for Income Support but not for Tax Credits or Council Tax benefits. You should also apply for a grant if you are with the OU. Being single you will struggle though getting most low income benefits with a £19K salary.

I'm not suggesting you do this but some people are better off financially working part-time with a lower salary and getting top-up benefits.
    There are no new applications for tax credits.It has to be universal credit 
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2022 at 7:22AM
    Have you looked into Tax Credits ? Your income is above the threshold for Income Support..
    It has not been possible to make a new claim for Tax Credits or Income Support since 2018.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • GreenCat80
    GreenCat80 Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    The benefits for families earning £30-40k is probably just child benefit which is only about £20 per week and kids cost way more than that, those people are probably struggling too. Xx

Some people find filling in an SOA is helpful to address their finances- 
    https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
    The good people over on the Debt Free Wannabe board are usually really good at looking at these and suggesting where you can cut back or spend smarter if you wanted to post it somewhere ☺️
    Debt was £15,903 😬 Now £2718.14 £0 😲🥳

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    The benefits for families earning £30-40k is probably just child benefit 
    Not necessarily. It depends on their circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback