Compensation for a cancelled flight that's 3 months away?

Options
Hi there,

I’m new to the forum so please go easy! Theres probably someone else who’s asked a similar question to this so if someone could point me in the direction of some similar answers that would also be very helpful.

I booked a KLM flight through KLM from Southampton to Amsterdam in Mid June at 9am and have recently found out that the flight is cancelled and I have been booked on a flight later that day at approx 5pm. I was travelling for work and so need to be there at the original flight time and the later flight is no good for me. Can I still apply for compensation if the flight date is several months ahead on the basis that I now have to book a new more expensive flight from a different airport with all the additional travel expenses etc?

I was going to ring KLM to see what options they propose but I’m conscious that its probably in their interest to steer me away from claiming any compensation and might just try to get me to rebook on another flight from a different airport.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 March 2022 at 1:17PM
    Options
    You won't be due compensation because sufficient notice has been given as per EC261.

However you don't have to accept their proposed alternative.  You can request a re-routing on something that's more suitable to you.  This doesn't necessarily have to be a KLM operated flight (although I don't think anyone else operate SOU-AMS anyway?)

If you can find an alternative with KLM (another airport) then it will be much easier to get them to re-book you onto that which they should do.  If your proposed alternative is with another carrier then you might have more of a fight with them.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't believe there is any compensation that can be claimed when the flight is that far out. They have to either book you on the next closest available flight or to refund you in full to put you back in the position you were. Provided they have done this then they have met their legal obligations.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback