PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gifted deposit - no ID

Options
Hi all, hope you can help.
My parents have kindly gifted me a small amount of money towards my deposit.  However, they don't have a passport or driving licence which is required to prove identity under anti-money laundering rules.
Do you know what else can be used instead?  My solicitor isn't being overly helpful.
Thank you
WW

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    There isn't a general answer for this, it's up to your solicitor.

Can't your parents apply for ID now?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

It's really up to your solicitor what they'll accept. Birth certificates might be acceptable.

I recently had a similar problem with a solicitor. He said just submit copies of whatever you've got (and a note explaining why you can't provide anything else), and he'd pass it to his AML team and see what they say.

(For example, they might say that whatever you've submitted will be ok, if your parents come into the office with the originals or get certified copies.)

But other solicitors might not work like that.

• WickedWitch123
    Options
    user1977 said:

Thank you, I guess i was hoping someone might know something I hadn't thought of.

• MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 March 2022 at 5:19PM
    Options
    user1977 said:

Thank you, I guess i was hoping someone might know something I hadn't thought of.

This is the list I received from my solicitor. Obviously yours may have different requirements but if your parents have any of the following you could ask if that's ok, if your solicitor is not forthcoming with suggestions. 

ETA: They either had to show the originals in person or send in copies that were signed by someone like a solicitor. doctor or accountant to verify they were true copies. 
  • WickedWitch123
    Options
    MaryNB said:
    user1977 said:

This is the list I received from my solicitor. Obviously yours may have different requirements but if your parents have any of the following you could ask if that's ok, if your solicitor is not forthcoming with suggestions. 

ETA: They either had to show the originals in person or send in copies that were signed by someone like a solicitor. doctor or accountant to verify they were true copies. 
    Thank you that is really helpful.  The solicitors office have come back and suggested bus passes so hopefully the solicitor dealing with my purchase will accept this.  My parents don't have anything on that list unfortunately. 

Thanks again.
    WW
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have heard of bus passes being used for this - had some relatives doing an internal flight and they needed ID - they had no driving licence or passport but bus passes were accepted
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MaryNB said:
    user1977 said:

Thank you that is really helpful.  The solicitors office have come back and suggested bus passes so hopefully the solicitor dealing with my purchase will accept this.  My parents don't have anything on that list unfortunately. 

Thanks again.
    WW

Are they over State Pension Age then ?
    If so, and they get a State Pension, then the letter from DWP telling them about the annual increase (or any other letter from then about a benefit) is sometimes acceptable.
    The other one I've used for ID in the past is a tax coding notice from HMRC - you can phone them up and aske them to send you one in the post if they haven't sent one out automatically.
  • WickedWitch123
    Options
    I have heard of bus passes being used for this - had some relatives doing an internal flight and they needed ID - they had no driving licence or passport but bus passes were accepted
    Wonderful thank you for that.  
  • RoseBerni
    RoseBerni Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do they have a blue badge for disabilities 
    that might be work as it’s official and has photos on 
  • aliceegordon
    aliceegordon Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I appreciate this was a little while ago but I'm in the same position now with my Grandmother re. gifted deposit. She has an Older Person's Bus Pass (it says on it Concessionary Travel funded by HM Government) - would that work?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure