Amazon Classic and Platinum credit cards will be scrapped from January 2023

Options

Comments

• IronIron
    Options
    KxMx said:
    I'm going to opt in but like you am planning to apply for the new Amazon card as it's more useful, then if accepted I'll cancel the Pulse. 

Have you read any information about a new Amazon card or are you just expecting that there will be a replacement?

I did read a couple of stories that implied Amazon may create a new card. What I found odd was that if this is so, why they couldnt do a deal with newday to move customers across from the existing card in a smooth way. The relationship between the two must be really bad?

There are 800k customers affected by this? This doesnt seem a small number to potentially annoy if handled badly.
  • robbo990
    robbo990 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IronIron said:
    I first heard about this news in an email from the card company this morning (31/08/2022). I found this news story after a quick Google and it seems some details may need updating. From the way I read their statement, Amazon card holders will not automatically be moved to a different provider. Customers have to opt-in by ringing and automated phone service.

If customers do nothing the account will be closed. All Amazon cards will stop working in Nov 2022.

QUOTE: ‘If you would like a Pulse card, you will need to opt in to receiving one by calling our automated phone line on xxxx xxx xxxx by 6th November 2022 and entering your account number which is xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. If your account is not up to date or
    within your credit limit on this date, we will not send you a Pulse card and we may close your account.’

Maybe I missed some earlier communication from them, but for me I’m learning about this for the first time with only just over 2 months until my card stops working.

When I received the email this morning saying they wanted me to login and read an important message, I almost didn’t bother. I get a lot of these types of things from banks and usually it is just changes to their terms of service documents.

I wonder how many customers may get caught out by this. Either not realising it is occurring or thinking that they will automatically get issued a replacement card (as implied in this news story and the other coverage earlier in 2022).

My letter does not mention anything about an opt-in.

IMPORTANT CHANGES
    Your Amazon account is
    changing and will be rebranded
    as Pulse from 11th November
    Your account can still be
    managed via your online
    account manager or the Pulse
    Card app
    Official SOS Club number 004 - Dry until (05.01.10)
  • Lumiona
    Lumiona Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a 10 page letter, the opt in info iss on page2.
  • robbo990
    robbo990 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lumiona said:
    I have a 10 page letter, the opt in info iss on page2.
    Letter is only 7 pages long, I've read through it all and it says it will automatically change.
    Official SOS Club number 004 - Dry until (05.01.10)
  • Lumiona
    Lumiona Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How strange? My letter states that I have to a call a number to opt in to the Pulse card. It makes sense to me that New Day are changing the terms of the card and are requesting customers actively choose the new version. I'd be interested to see what % of customers decide to go with the Pulse card.
  • 4justice2
    4justice2 Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 September 2022 at 9:46AM
    Options
    Lumiona said:
    How strange? My letter states that I have to a call a number to opt in to the Pulse card. It makes sense to me that New Day are changing the terms of the card and are requesting customers actively choose the new version. I'd be interested to see what % of customers decide to go with the Pulse card.
    Strange if two different letters are about! Like you I've had the ten page letter in which you have to phone up to opt in. Apparently you are guaranteed acceptance, same account number etc.
    I'm more likely to go with an Amazon card from an alternative provider than stick with Newday. 
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    My letter was 10 pages too.

An excerpt from page 2 shows:

How do I get a Pulse card?
    If you would like a Pulse card, you will need to opt in to receiving one by calling our automated phone line on 0333 455 8927* by 6th November 2022 and entering your account number which is xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. If your account is not up to date or within your credit limit on this date, we will not send you a Pulse card and we may close your account.

What if I don’t want a Pulse card?
    You don’t have to do anything now. If you decide not to opt in to receiving a Pulse card, or you don’t activate your new card within 90 days of the date we send it to you, we will close your account.

If you have a balance, you’ll still have to make at least your contractual minimum payment each month until it is repaid in full. Once your balance has been paid, we will send you a final statement and your agreement with us will end.

If you opt in to Pulse but then don’t activate your card within 90 days of the date we send it to you, we will assume you don’t want the card and close your account, as set out above. If you do activate it but no longer want it, you can repay your balance in full and close it at any time.

The closure of your account will not have any impact on your credit rating. Provided you have paid in full, it will appear on your credit file as a closed and settled account.

The bold emphasis is mine.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,546 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2022 at 10:11AM
    Options
    IronIron said:

I did read a couple of stories that implied Amazon may create a new card. What I found odd was that if this is so, why they couldnt do a deal with newday to move customers across from the existing card in a smooth way. The relationship between the two must be really bad?

There are 800k customers affected by this? This doesnt seem a small number to potentially annoy if handled badly.
    This came up in the John Lewis thread quite a bit.
    The customer book belongs to NewDay, not Amazon. Customers don't follow co-brands around wholesale from lender to lender for all sorts of reasons; there's literally no precedent for it.
    So far as I can see NewDay are offering a path forward for existing cardholders to keep their existing accounts open (without Amazon branding), which is as much as might be expected.
    This is all quite apart from the fact that no new (personal) Amazon credit card is known of yet, which would obviously makes a 'smooth' transition impossible if there even was such a thing!
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 September 2022 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Wanny53 said:
    Looks like they’re following in the footsteps of the Asda card which gave cash back and was ‘pulled’ a year or more ago.

The Creation Asda card is no longer a thing but it lives on with a different issuer - https://money.asda.com/credit-cards/
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    wiseonesomeofthetime Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 September 2022 at 11:00AM
    Options
    The_Urbanite said:
    Wanny53 said:
    Looks like they’re following in the footsteps of the Asda card which gave cash back and was ‘pulled’ a year or more ago.

The Creation Asda card is no longer a thing but it lives on with a different issuer -  https://money.asda.com/credit-cards/

Your link does not work, despite appearing accurate 🤷‍♂️

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure