Amazon Classic and Platinum credit cards will be scrapped from January 2023

Options
MSE_Sophie
MSE_Sophie Posts: 123 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post
edited 12 August 2022 at 9:47AM in Credit cards
Some 800,000 shoppers with Amazon Classic and Platinum Mastercards will no longer be able to use them from January 2023 as NewDay, the issuer, has walked away from the partnership
Read the full story:

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 March 2022 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Some 800,000 shoppers with Amazon Classic and Platinum Mastercards will no longer be able to use them from January 2023 as NewDay, the issuer, has walked away from the partnership
    Read the full story:

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Frightening, one of my highest limits being ditched unexpectantly.
    Best pay off EV Charging cable asap was  75% there.

---edited---

If you've still got your Amazon card in January 2023, your account will be re-branded to 'NewDay Pulse' with new cards issued in due course. 

The Pulse card pays 0.25% cashback on every transaction, up to £150 a year.

I'll decide next year.

thanks
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Wanny53
    Wanny53 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like they’re following in the footsteps of the Asda card which gave cash back and was ‘pulled’ a year or more ago.
    I use my Amazon new day platinum card for almost all my purchases and pay off in full by DD. The gift cards I class as money in the bank as I don’t include them when they are deducted from Amazon purchase, I deduct the full cost of purchase from my monthly home spends, leaving the money lying in the bank. This soon adds up over the months and is there to spend on whatever and wherever we choose.
    shame this is being withdrawn guess like Asda card it’s too generous to customers and not what banks do!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Non issue really as it's just going to be rebranded as a 'Pulse' card and the credit account will carry on as normal. It was the same as what they did with the Acadia branded cards.
  • cx6
    cx6 Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 March 2022 at 1:16PM
    Options
    One issue might be what happens to the Amazon points earned if less than 1000 but hopefully there will be a way (and time) to redeem them
  • IronIron
    Options
    I first heard about this news in an email from the card company this morning (31/08/2022). I found this news story after a quick Google and it seems some details may need updating. From the way I read their statement, Amazon card holders will not automatically be moved to a different provider. Customers have to opt-in by ringing and automated phone service.

If customers do nothing the account will be closed. All Amazon cards will stop working in Nov 2022.

QUOTE: ‘If you would like a Pulse card, you will need to opt in to receiving one by calling our automated phone line on xxxx xxx xxxx by 6th November 2022 and entering your account number which is xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. If your account is not up to date or
    within your credit limit on this date, we will not send you a Pulse card and we may close your account.’

Maybe I missed some earlier communication from them, but for me I’m learning about this for the first time with only just over 2 months until my card stops working.

When I received the email this morning saying they wanted me to login and read an important message, I almost didn’t bother. I get a lot of these types of things from banks and usually it is just changes to their terms of service documents.

I wonder how many customers may get caught out by this. Either not realising it is occurring or thinking that they will automatically get issued a replacement card (as implied in this news story and the other coverage earlier in 2022).

• older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2022 at 10:21AM
    Options
    IronIron said:
    I first heard about this news in an email from the card company this morning (31/08/2022). I found this news story after a quick Google and it seems some details may need updating. From the way I read their statement, Amazon card holders will not automatically be moved to a different provider. Customers have to opt-in by ringing and automated phone service.

If customers do nothing the account will be closed. All Amazon cards will stop working in Nov 2022.

QUOTE: ‘If you would like a Pulse card, you will need to opt in to receiving one by calling our automated phone line on xxxx xxx xxxx by 6th November 2022 and entering your account number which is xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. If your account is not up to date or
    within your credit limit on this date, we will not send you a Pulse card and we may close your account.’

Maybe I missed some earlier communication from them, but for me I’m learning about this for the first time with only just over 2 months until my card stops working.

When I received the email this morning saying they wanted me to login and read an important message, I almost didn’t bother. I get a lot of these types of things from banks and usually it is just changes to their terms of service documents.

I wonder how many customers may get caught out by this. Either not realising it is occurring or thinking that they will automatically get issued a replacement card (as implied in this news story and the other coverage earlier in 2022).

edited 

you are correct ignore my previous post 

• billn
    billn Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you go onto the app and look in your inbox there should be "an important message/letter" to read and mine does say you need to opt in to get the new card, there is also mention of what happens to your points and I hope I have read it right that they will be converted to an Amazon gift card but no mention of what happens if you have less than 1000 points.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 31 August 2022 at 9:58AM
    Options
    It mentions "points balance" which implies all points will be converted without needing to be at 1000 as normal.
    @older_wiser
    I have a 10 page pdf as my notice in app inbox, it does indeed say you need to opt into this card on page 2 and page 4.
    I think perhaps you've just looked at page 1 which covers only the things you have mentioned. 
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Options
    KxMx said:
    It mentions "points balance" which implies all points will be converted without needing to be at 1000 as normal.
    @older_wiser
    I have a 10 page pdf as my notice in app inbox, it does indeed say you need to opt into this card on page 2 and page 4.
    I think perhaps you've just looked at page 1 which covers only the things you have mentioned. 
    indeed you are correct lol

thats the problem with replying to posts when i've only just got up and in a rush 
    i'll probably keep it but its nowhere near as good as the current card and i may decide to get the new amazon card whoever thats with. 

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm going to opt in but like you am planning to apply for the new Amazon card as it's more useful, then if accepted I'll cancel the Pulse. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback