Options
J_B
J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 8 March 2022 at 5:18PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Considering booking flights
Out with Jet2
Back with Ryanair
Ryanair is priced in Euros. Last time I did this I used my Nationwide card that has a good exchange rate etc but RY (of course) did their own unfavourable exchange as it was a UK card.
Is there a way of avoiding this?
(We still have a valid card with our Cypriot bank that's a possibility, but, that's a debit card not credit card!)

EDIT - or should I just book it all with lastminute.com

Comments

• SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 March 2022 at 6:27PM
    Options
    There is a way of avoiding this. Once you put in your UK bank card details the fare is shown like this:

our debit/credit card will now be charged
    £17.68(€19.99)
    1 EUR = 0.8845996 GBP 
    Want to learn more about our guaranteed exchange rate? 

Click on the drop down box next to "want to learn more about our guaranteed exchange rate" and then untick the box next to "We recommend you do not untick the checkbox so that you receive our guaranteed exchange rate."
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Certainly don’t book it with Lastminute.com

• J_B
    Options
    There is a way of avoiding this. Once you put in your UK bank card details the fare is shown like this:

£17.68(€19.99)
    1 EUR = 0.8845996 GBP 

Click on the drop down box next to "want to learn more about our guaranteed exchange rate" and then untick the box next to "We recommend you do not untick the checkbox so that you receive our guaranteed exchange rate."

Excellent thank you.
    Flight was €235.98 which R/A's "guaranteed rate" worked out at £209.50
    Paid on my (legacy) Nationwide card  ....................................... £197
    :D 
  • J_B
    Options
    Just resurrecting my old thread .... it still works!
  • Cyberhell
    Cyberhell Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

£17.68(€19.99)
    1 EUR = 0.8845996 GBP 

How are they still getting away with this? When paying in non £ situations I always ask to pay in the local currency with my Nationwide visa & I tried to do so yesterday when making my first ever Ryanair booking as I fly very rarely, every 5 years or so. I could not find a way to switch back to € when it flipped to £ at checkout. Even after reading this thread and trying again I couldn't find the option mentioned.

I contacted Ryanair to cancel & re-book (what happened to distance selling act, does it not apply with flights?) and their customer service is shocking. Even Easyjet have a 24 hour cooling off period for bookings. 
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cyberhell said:

I contacted Ryanair to cancel & re-book (what happened to distance selling act, does it not apply with flights?) and their customer service is shocking. Even Easyjet have a 24 hour cooling off period for bookings. 
    it does not apply to flights

EasyJets 24 cancellation within 24 hours of booking
    "If you cancel within 24 hours of booking, we will give you a full refund minus the Cancellation Fee (as listed in Fees and Charges)." - fee is £49 online or £55 on phone
  • TraceyG78
    TraceyG78 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for this tip. Just booked flights would have been £223 if I paid in pounds, €246 in euros. I opted to pay in euros, unticked the box and was charged £211. Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback