BT Broadband

I have a BT Broadband package which includes line rental. I have received the proposed charge increase for March 31st of 9.3%. My current bill is £25.99 less prepaid line rental of £19.99 ie £6 a month. The proposed increase is £2.41 which is 9.3% of £25.99. I have contacted BT to ask why I have to pay an increase on a bill which I have already paid, that is line rental. They say that it is package price that is used, that in my opinion is wrong, the agent I spoke to agreed with my logic that increase should be on £6 but could not help. Any one else of same opinion?

Comments

• southsidergs
    southsidergs Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I respectfully have to disagree with you, you have paid a set amount for line rental saver which takes a set amount off your bill each month, the increase is applied on the 25.99 BEFORE the 19.99 is taken off, you have paid to get the 19.99 taken off each month which you are still getting so there's no issue with the increase as far as I can see
  • HaroldWren5
    HaroldWren5 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    OUFC36 said:
    I have a BT Broadband package which includes line rental. I have received the proposed charge increase for March 31st of 9.3%. My current bill is £25.99 less prepaid line rental of £19.99 ie £6 a month. The proposed increase is £2.41 which is 9.3% of £25.99. I have contacted BT to ask why I have to pay an increase on a bill which I have already paid, that is line rental. They say that it is package price that is used, that in my opinion is wrong, the agent I spoke to agreed with my logic that increase should be on £6 but could not help. Any one else of same opinion?

BT are notorious for making their bills incomprehensible that even they cannot make head, nor tail of it sometimes. I would agree with you that if you have prepaid line rental, then any price increase cannot apply to the prepaid amount, since that was already paid (the whole point of line rental saver). The price increase could surely only apply to whatever has to actually be paid and chargeable phone, or broadband package (and TV if applicable). 
  • arjar
    arjar Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Same here.  I've just renewed my prepaid line rental - at exactly the same rate as a year ago - so that hasn't gone up. So what was a net £6 charge for BB is now 40% higher at £8.41.  I'm thinking of challenging this then escalating it to OFCOM when BT stonewall.  I suggest you do the same.  

I've just had a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority upheld about BT claiming that line rental pre-payment saves £19.99 a month - which was obvious nonsense.  So they are not invulnerable.
  • southsidergs
    Jesus wept, you're getting the discount you paid for so there's absolutely NO grounds for a complaint!
  • If BT used your inside leg measurement divided by your cat's age to determine your annual cost increase that would be fine if that's what the T&C said would happen when you signed-up and agreed to them. 

If the T&C are being breached by BT or the T&C are ambiguous then maybe there's a reason for complaint.
  • southsidergs
    Exactly there's no breach in this situation so no grounds for complaint. The line rental saver is a one off paymnet of 219.84 compared to 19.9×12 which comes to 239.88. People are now moaning about the price increase being applied incorrectly, it's applied on the pacakge price before the 19.99 is taken off & they're still getting what tbey agreed too hence no grounds for complaint
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback