VIRGIN MEDIA PRICE RISE

Options
Again faced with another Price rice from Virgin Media £2 in February and £9 in March bringing me up to £40 just for broadband, I was on PlusNet for many years but when Virgin put a new fibre line in my area I was convinced to change to them, big mistake!!, I want to change from them, with PlusNet they used my phone line, I was forced to pay BT £38 for having it disconnected from the exchange, another rip off, when I changed to Virgin. I can see plenty of good deals out there for the same and better speed than I have from £24 to about £29  but what I cannot find out is the points below, can anyone help, it does not specify in any of the deals about the connection used  

• Do I have to have a new line
  • Do they use my existing phone line but charge me to connect it up again, I don't really need a phone just broadband.
  • Can they use the existing Virgin Media line coming into my house

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    • Do I have to have a new line : You will need an active line, as you don't seem to  have an active line, there may be a charge, or the provider may absorb or subsidise the cost.
    • Do they use my existing phone line but charge me to connect it up again, I don't really need a phone just broadband.: Don't get hung up on "phone lines", the charge from the ISP will be the total charge for the service. There is always a line cost built into fixed line broadband services. You only need to look at the cost, which for an Openreach based service, will include any line rental applicable.
    • Can they use the existing Virgin Media line coming into my house: No
  • engineer350
    Options
    Thank you your reply has been very helpful
  • HaroldWren5
    HaroldWren5 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Again faced with another Price rice from Virgin Media £2 in February and £9 in March bringing me up to £40 just for broadband, I was on PlusNet for many years but when Virgin put a new fibre line in my area I was convinced to change to them, big mistake!!, I want to change from them, with PlusNet they used my phone line, I was forced to pay BT £38 for having it disconnected from the exchange, another rip off, when I changed to Virgin. I can see plenty of good deals out there for the same and better speed than I have from £24 to about £29  but what I cannot find out is the points below, can anyone help, it does not specify in any of the deals about the connection used  

• Do I have to have a new line
    • Do they use my existing phone line but charge me to connect it up again, I don't really need a phone just broadband.
    • Can they use the existing Virgin Media line coming into my house
    For a new Openreach, or CityFibre line yes, you would need a new line. 
    If you don't need a phone, I would definitely check whether you can get "Full Fibre" (FTTP) broadband in your area. Sometimes providers call it "Ultrafast" depending on the broadband provider. 
    They won't use the Virgin Media line no. 

Suppliers like Vodafone use either an Openreach, or Cityfibre line. BT uses Openreach, as do a range of other providers like Sky, TalkTalk, Shell Energy, EE or Cuckoo. 

The connection used would either be a copper connection (if there is one at the property already, then they would switch something on at the local Broadband Exchange to connect the line), or a brand new Fibre line that is brought to the property from the nearby telephone pole, or nearby duct (that varies depending on where you live). The cost of the Full Fibre/FTTP installation is usually included in any Setup mentioned in the broadband deal, or else part and parcel of the monthly price. With Cuckoo, there are 30 day or 12 month contracts (and no price rises). With TalkTalk and Sky it is 18 months (with a CPI increase). BT, or Vodafone are 24 month contracts (with a CPI increase). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback