Folding powerchair

edited 26 February at 10:27PM in Disability Money Matters
6 replies 203 views
irene939irene939 Forumite
42 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 26 February at 10:27PM in Disability Money Matters
My husband needs a folding electric wheelchair with a fully reclining back. This is the only one that I have found. It’s on the easy living website Does any one know how to get it cheaper. It’s £1500.
Thanks in advance  

Easy Chair AutoFolding

Product Code: 3610510150835

Replies

• NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Disability Matters’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Secondhand/ex-display is the most likely way to get one cheaper.  A Google search will probably give the widest range of results to be honest; sometimes you just have to trawl through listings on sites where they haven't put the model in the listing title - it's annoying and takes work, but hopefully worth it if you can find one at a much better price.

[My first powered chair was from eBay, and my current one from a mobility shop I'd never heard of but was legit, came up in a Google search with the exact model I was after.]
  • edited 27 February at 6:34PM
    mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 27 February at 6:34PM
    If you get higher rate PIP/DLA and don't have a car on Motability you can get a powerchair.  The good thing is that if it breaks down then everything is paid for so you pay more overall but handy if you can't afford a big expenditure or any unexpected bills for it. 

Otherwise be careful as there is some cheap tat out there 
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    and don't forget that you don't have to pay VAT.  I would guess you already knew that but others coming to this thread might not.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • irene939irene939 Forumite
    42 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks I’ve been phoning companies asking about one with a reclining back, asked occupational therapist but no go.  This chair has only come on the market this year so no hope of a second hand model and thanks yes I know about VAT relief. A family member extended family worked in a home and got disabled aids chairs wheelchairs dead cheap but doesn’t work there anymore. Thanks to you all
  • Westie983Westie983 Forumite, Ambassador
    5.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,

If your husband recieves DLA or PIP then you can get funding for a power wheelchair from them. 

Here is the link Motability If you dont claim but think you may qualify then here is the link PIP

If you don't qualify then try contacting care homes, or try a shop on Ebay.

Westie983

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.

Save 12k in 2022 #18 Total (£5000) £750.00/£5000 = 15.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 15 #24 Total (£115) £50.00/£500 = 10.00%
    Xmas 2022 £1 a Day #13 Total (£246) £25.00/£365 = 6.84%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £300.00/£500 = 60.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2022 #8 Total (£4.00) £10.00/£300 = 3.33%
    Total £1135.00/£6665 = 17.02%