Energy standing charge almost doubled!

Options
Hi martin, I received a letter from British gas telling me not only was my electricity rising (as expected), but that they were almost doubling the cost of the daily standing charge! 
So that's going to cost the best part of £5 a week for no extra fuel use on top of already not being able to afford fuel rises in the first place.
Can anything be done about this? Is the percentage rise in this even legal?
It's extortion by the back door!  Can anything be do e to stop co.panties doing this?

Comments

• ddavies74
    Options
    Companies lol sorry for typo
  • Phlik
    Phlik Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is being asked dozens of times per day, several times on this 1st page alone.

Operational costs.

30 companies have gone bust in last six months, that's part of the operational costs.

Smart meters aren't free, they're part of operational costs.

Green initiatives aren't free, they're part of operational costs.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Phlik said:
    Operational costs.

30 companies have gone bust in last six months, that's part of the operational costs.

Just to clarify, if you are going to post this, it would be more helpful to explain that the reason for that large increase on electricity standing charge this time is specifically the start of the recovery of the 'Supplier of Last Resort' costs for the failed suppliers.
    The other elements like the smart meters, green levies etc were there before, it is the SoLR costs that are responsible for the majority of the change this time...

• Phlik
    Phlik Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MWT said:
    Phlik said:
    Operational costs.

Just to clarify, if you are going to post this, it would be more helpful to explain that the reason for that large increase on electricity standing charge this time is specifically the start of the recovery of the 'Supplier of Last Resort' costs for the failed suppliers.
    The other elements like the smart meters, green levies etc were there before, it is the SoLR costs that are responsible for the majority of the change this time...

It goes towards explaining how the standing charge is made up, most think it's purely supply hardware/admin when infact that's becoming a smaller and smaller portion of it. Failed suppliers accounts for the majority of the latest rise but isn't the full story.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Phlik said:
    MWT said:
    Phlik said:
    Operational costs.

It goes towards explaining how the standing charge is made up, most think it's purely supply hardware/admin when infact that's becoming a smaller and smaller portion of it. Failed suppliers accounts for the majority of the latest rise but isn't the full story.
    True, but it is the root cause of the increase that is motivating them to post...

• johnwood78
    Options
    ddavies74 said:
    Hi martin, I received a letter from British gas telling me not only was my electricity rising (as expected), but that they were almost doubling the cost of the daily standing charge! 
    So that's going to cost the best part of £5 a week for no extra fuel use on top of already not being able to afford fuel rises in the first place.
    Can anything be done about this? Is the percentage rise in this even legal?
    It's extortion by the back door!  Can anything be do e to stop co.panties doing this?
    Hi Davies,

I just couldn't resist in having my rant too.
    So my energy co in November increased my DD but 53% and this is before the price cap lift. So it turned me to research and sure enough it was the memories of errands for my mum to top up the energy Kay and card, she would give me £4 for each, (thus paying off the 3.50 emergency credit. And I did that MAX once per week maybe even fortnightly. So back in the 80s when BRITISH GAS was the only UK supplier (with a branch off called Scottish Gas, and the electricity was regional (LEB, SSE, SOUTHERN) but all run by the UK national grid. 

British Gas (The Gas light and coke company est 1812 in London) the world's first energy company did our nation a perfect national service over seen, Managed for 172 years by consecutive governments as it was a public sector company and after those 172 years supplying the whole nation with COSTS BEING THE REASON of opening up and selling off the British Gas that had prospered as well as giving the industry stability and the peoplel consistency in costs. Until 1984 when a KWH for gas costed 0.008p and electric similar.when the plan to turn a necessity into a lucrative profit machine, and the THING THEY CALL THE IRON LADY was the first LEADER PUPPET to those who wants more, more more even more than we now have. So 1984 privatisation of BG, then 1990 the same with the energy companies, 1995-96 after 9 years of stagnant dividends the OWNERS OF NOW 6 (THE BIG 6) 
    Had started to increase the cost to the consumer, then PFGEM was created in 2003 to ensure these now private greedy companies that had worked for the nationals and the country it was now getting ready to increase the profits and attract investors since 2003 until now we have seen a raise of 250% in 20 years, from the big 6 to 60 companies all playing the consumer to hike by manipulation the cost of EVERy house hold and every business, so the only ones that are rubbing their hands in these cold dark times are the few rich that dictate inflation, the same that LEND carelessly, those go also price us out of affording to survive let alone live. We are here to make the rich rich, and to give a lifetime of working alongside the inflation forecast, this is proven that even the RUSSIAN'S MONEY buys things with BUNGS to those who privatised our soon to be priced out life requirements, hence this WAR, this will pump up, food, commodities, travel, tech, clothing and then EQUALLY SETS IN and everyone is struggling, even Mr Martin money supermarket. 
    I do wish you all the best and a brighter warmer time a head as wish is all I can do.

I am even being forced and attacked for not accepting the 53% 2 weeks notice increase in November just gone. But I only use £60-70pm MAX.. sometimes in summer it's as low as £42. And I have been told I won't be able to change. IM WITH BULB (THEY WENT THROUGH INSOLVENCY IN NOVEMBER but still able to demand and rip their cash cow customers off. 

Take care, stay safe
    John

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Remember that the amount you pay on your direct debit is NOT the amount of energy you use. If your DD is being increased, why? Were your previous payments covering use? Will they still cover the cost of what you use once prices increase (as they did in October, and will do again next month?) or will there then be a shortfall? Has your use increased for some reason? 

If the amount that a company is asking to increase your DD by doesn’t match your annual usage, then challenge them - ask them why they’re asking for this figure. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business