Beware - Fake airline refund website

Options

I thought this article published today at Head for Points was worthy of a repost here.   Seems a scam circulating to catch the unsuspecting who might be seeking help obtaining a refund from (in the case Vueling) an airline.   I feel sure if they can set up for Vueling they can set up under other airline names.

The fake Facebook page remained live when I checked this morning.

Read the story here - 
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/02/23/vueling-facebook-scam/comment-page-1/#comments

Whilst the reported Vueling customer caught on that something was wrong when asked to buy crypro currency and did not lose money, he had by this time give lots of personal information to these scammers including a scan of his passport, his email address and bank details.  A horror story could still unfold.

Please all be careful.

[I have no connection with (the excellent) Head for Points other than as a signed up subscriber to their daily news letter. They are however very informative as a site for frequent travellers or those who collect hotel/airline reward points]

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Haven't used Facebook for over a decade but don't they have a marker for verified accounts for big business or celebs like Twitter and such do?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 February 2022 at 2:33PM
    Options
    They do and this fake Vueling Response account has been set up as a personal account rather than a business one, plus no authenticity tick marker.  Nevertheless I can see some potentially falling foul of this if you don't know what to look for.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Westin said:
    They do and this fake Vueling Response account has been set up as a personal account rather than a business one, plus no authenticity tick marker.  Nevertheless I can see some potentially falling fowl of this if you don't know what to look for.
    Beware low flying partridges with engine failure ?
    Sorry - couldn't resist this  :D

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oops.  Although it has been very windy. The roof came off the bird nesting box in the garden so I guess falling fowl may also be possible.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback