Grandparent being denied contact with grandchild

Options
Has anyone any experience of this?
I know it is now against the law for this to happen but going the legal route seems to be a last ditch situation.
I dont know why my daughter is leaving me out of things like my grandchilds birthday but I have my suspicions what influence is being brought to bear.
  I just want to make sure my grandchild and I maintain the relationship we currently have, ie a warm and loving one which is so difficult to do when she is stopped from communicating with me on many occasions.
I am very sad at how the whole situation has developed but cant see a way forward when I can't spek to my daughter on her own. :'(

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there anybody who could act as a go between between you and your daughter?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know it is now against the law for this to happen but going the legal route seems to be a last ditch situation
    I'm not sure where you got that idea from. 
    https://www.gov.uk/contact-grandchild-parents-divorce-separate

Although the title mentions divorce or separation it is still applicable 

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February 2022 at 6:20PM
    Options
    I don't think that grandparents being denied access to their grandchildren is actually "against the law" in England and Wales.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Do you have any other children who are in good terms with your daughter who could act as go between to find out what is really going on?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,331 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it that your daughter doesn't want to talk to you (she may have reasons that would explain this) or is it that someone is keeping your daughter from talking to you (which is worrying and may mean she is in an abusive relationship)?

While you sort out a solution I suggest you continue to message the child (depending on age of course) or at least continue to send cards/letters.  If these attempts are rejected then continue by writing the messages/letters in a book that the child can have at a later date when thing become friendlier.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • flossy_splodge
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Is there anybody who could act as a go between between you and your daughter?
    Sadly not really.  I have a small family and no one really understands how this is killing me. I just keep being told 'leave her alone and she'll come round'.  I'm not sure she will.

• flossy_splodge
    Options
    I know it is now against the law for this to happen but going the legal route seems to be a last ditch situation
    I'm not sure where you got that idea from. 
    https://www.gov.uk/contact-grandchild-parents-divorce-separate

Although the title mentions divorce or separation it is still applicable 

I have had legal advice that suggests it is actually unlawful to prevent contact between grandparents and grandchildren.

• flossy_splodge
    Options
    Do you have any other children who are in good terms with your daughter who could act as go between to find out what is really going on?

There is another sibling who tells me that they are appalled at how I've been treated but makes endless justifications as to why they haven't got involved.
    Just to be clear, I absolutely do NOT want side taking or similar, just some light to be shed on what the blazes is going on.
  • flossy_splodge
    Options
    Brie said:
    Is it that your daughter doesn't want to talk to you (she may have reasons that would explain this) or is it that someone is keeping your daughter from talking to you (which is worrying and may mean she is in an abusive relationship)?

While you sort out a solution I suggest you continue to message the child (depending on age of course) or at least continue to send cards/letters.  If these attempts are rejected then continue by writing the messages/letters in a book that the child can have at a later date when thing become friendlier.

I suspect the latter but I have no proof. Control issues are certainly the case imho.
    Yes I have continued to acknowledge grandchild and send presents.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    How old is your grandchild?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback