Options
12346»

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,958 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    An acknowledgement can only be by payment or in writing so clicking on a link is not one.

Did clicking not tell you what they were chasing?

Generally we say to wait till they write, then send a prove-it letter.
    Ah ok great. I clicked the link and it said "are you so-and-so" (my name) and I shat myself so didn't click any further! I backed out and ran away 🤣🙈

Ok thank you for the advice. 
    Wait till they write about what, specifically?
    Well it will be about a debt won`t it, seen as Arvato are acting as debt collectors in this instance, as they mention their client is "Barclays Bank".

You may not be as default free as you think you are, if they want to get serious, they must write to you for collection purposes.

If you "shat" yourself at a link in an SMS, this does not bode well for future interactions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,885 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will your bank accept a PO Box address?  I'd be interested to hear as I know a couple of people who move around (on canal boats etc) but maintain an address at a relatives for banking etc, and it would be easier for them to use a scanning service. 

Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    @sourcrates I'm exaggerating! Just new to this, I've made my bed and will lie in it. I intend to change my UK mobile number next time I'm back there so that I simply won't receive such messages.

I have also changed my banking correspondence address to a UK Street Address 'scan and send' service so I can monitor the mail I receive.

As I said, I have decided to simply let the debts wither to default and then statute barred. I do recognise and understand that I will likely receive dozens of letters from various agencies in the coming months and years, I am under no illusions! Just not something I have done before and thus as the first time for everything, I just need to be prepared.

I know the whole point of debt collectors is to frighten you into acting. I am resolutely not going to respond and do not have the means to pay anyway.

Thanks again guys for the advice. I can see how many people would respond to such letters and thus blow any chance of getting onto a DMP or whatever.
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    Will your bank accept a PO Box address?  I'd be interested to hear as I know a couple of people who move around (on canal boats etc) but maintain an address at a relatives for banking etc, and it would be easier for them to use a scanning service. 

They do not accept 'PO BOX' but I have found a service that gives you a street address. This has been accepted by all of my debtors, except for Barclaycard , who have flagged it as a 'non-residential' address. Annoyingly. There are several choices for addresses at these services though so I will try a different one for Barclaycard. It is a good service, they will scan your mail and email it to you. So I am able to keep an eye on my bank mail, see when things go to default and debts are sold to agencies etc. 

They do not accept 'PO BOX' but I have found a service that gives you a street address. This has been accepted by all of my debtors, except for Barclaycard , who have flagged it as a 'non-residential' address. Annoyingly. There are several choices for addresses at these services though so I will try a different one for Barclaycard. It is a good service, they will scan your mail and email it to you. So I am able to keep an eye on my bank mail, see when things go to default and debts are sold to agencies etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback