New to debt, please help

Options
System
System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
This discussion was created from comments split from: DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!.

Comments

• kevoxshockwave
    Options
    Hi all! I am new to this but i think I will be around here for a good few years... 

So I've finally removed my head from the sand about my debts... I am £35,000 in debt across 2 loans, 4 Credit Cards and 2 overdrafts. 

I have missed a few payments the past few months and realise I need to do something more sustainable. I am looking into a DMP. 

I have a couple of questions, if any forumites could help me out i'd be grateful!

1) Is it a good idea to contact my banks to tell them I am in financial difficulty? I mean its obvious coz I have missed payments, but -

2) I read a few pieces of advice saying DON'T enter into an 'arrangement' with the bank, it's better to -

3) Cancel Direct Debits, keep missing payments until they DEFAULT and then THATS the point at which to set up a DMP.

Am I on the right lines?
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Before defaulting, i would suggest posting a "Statement of Affairs" (SOA). 

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

There may be ways to get out before then with careful budgeting.

Defaulting or trying to ay them down, you need to understand what accumulated the debt and if that problem/issue has been resolved. Otherwise you'll end up in a worse place years down the line.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Yes you are on the right lines.  It is difficult to be more helpful without seeing an soa (statement of account) but if you are struggling to make minimums and are paying interest and juggling payments then a DMP is one solution. 

An arrangement to pay has no real advantage to you and just delays the defaults.

A DMP has the advantage of normally stopping the interest and if you go managed through stepchange or another free debt charity then the monthly repayment to debts should be affordable and allow you to live.  However your credit record is trashed but if you already have missed payments then this will be damaged anyway.  The defaults drop off after 6 years so the sooner they default the better.  You can write to your creditors or you can contact stepchange and they will do that. 

The critical thing is to save up for emergencies after stopping the direct debits as you will have no access to credit after the DMP. If you have a mortgage though you can still usually get a new deal after an expired one finishes as long as you stay with your current lender. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    mcpitman said:
    Before defaulting, i would suggest posting a "Statement of Affairs" (SOA). 

There may be ways to get out before then with careful budgeting.

Defaulting or trying to ay them down, you need to understand what accumulated the debt and if that problem/issue has been resolved. Otherwise you'll end up in a worse place years down the line.
    thank you. So i should fill in an SOA and post it to where?
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, and on this thread. 
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Press the button to format for MSE also. 👍
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • kevoxshockwave
    Options
    Yes you are on the right lines.  It is difficult to be more helpful without seeing an soa (statement of account) but if you are struggling to make minimums and are paying interest and juggling payments then a DMP is one solution. 

An arrangement to pay has no real advantage to you and just delays the defaults.

A DMP has the advantage of normally stopping the interest and if you go managed through stepchange or another free debt charity then the monthly repayment to debts should be affordable and allow you to live.  However your credit record is trashed but if you already have missed payments then this will be damaged anyway.  The defaults drop off after 6 years so the sooner they default the better.  You can write to your creditors or you can contact stepchange and they will do that. 

The critical thing is to save up for emergencies after stopping the direct debits as you will have no access to credit after the DMP. If you have a mortgage though you can still usually get a new deal after an expired one finishes as long as you stay with your current lender. 
    Thank you, this is really helpful. 
    So I am in the position now where I have stopped all my direct debits to my loans and credit cards. 
    I do not have a mortgage.

I am not bothered about trashing my credit file, it is "Very Poor" anyway, I don't see how it can get any worse. 

I have a few other questions, if you (or anyone else!) can assist, I would be most grateful.

1) After filling in an SOA, where should I post it?
    2) Should i inform my creditors that I am in financial difficulties, or just ignore them?
    3) Should I contact StepChange now, or after my loans and CC's have all defaulted?

Thanks in advance!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You post your SOA to this thread, you will see a button entitled "format for MSE" click on that, and then post it on here.

Its up to you if you want to tell them, however you want to avoid arrangements to pay, so personally I`d just let them get on with the default process.

Debt repayment should only start once defaults are all confirmed, that way all interest is stopped, and you have a clear 6 year window till your credit file heals.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    I think I would keep quiet about your financial difficulties to your creditors.  In my limited experience working for a bank subsidary, if the bank knew you couldn't manage financially then they demanded immediate payment of all the money you owed them, even forcing  you to liquidate assets even if you lost money doing so.  

That was in the 1970s/80s.  I doubt if things have changed at all.  And I'll lay odds that all your other creditors will be exactly the same; ie, demand payment in full instantly, as soon as they are aware of your situation.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,547 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Fortunately the FCA's CONC guidelines set out in detail how creditors are supposed to act towards those in financial difficulties.

I don't go back 40 years in this business but things have greatly improved over 20 years.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback