Unmetered bill going up 10.36%

I received notification about my new bill for Apr 2022 - Ma r2023, and it is going up from £32.77 per month to £36.16 per month.

We are a 4 member household, 2 adults and 2 children age group (3-7 years). No dishwasher in the house.

Is it worth getting a water meter?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,808
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's debatable but probably yes. 
    You can get one then at the end of a tear compare the costs annually. 
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Is that £36.16 a month for 12 payments in the year or 10? - some companies like mine(Severn Trent) have 10.

The average consumption is around 55cubic metres(m3) per person per year - so 220m3 for your family. however many people say they use less than 55m3. Much depends on baths or showers, water for gardening etc. A dishwasher usually saves water over frequent washing up.

You can check that metered cost against unmetered of the company website. Also get a meter fitted and if after 12 months it isn't cheaper you can revert to unmetered charges.

It is pertinent to point out that families - especially children - who grow up in an unmetered house pick up bad habits; e.g leaving taps on full when brushing teeth

• You can use the calculator on the link below to give you a reasonable estimate.

https://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure