Driving License address

Our daughter recently had her handbag snatched in the street by a  cyclist and when helping her sort out the card notifications etc we realised that her address is also in her wallet on her Driving License. This left her having to change locks as well.  It occurs to us how much of a security risk this is having the address on this document when all other cards etc do not. With the likelihood of house keys being in a bag it is an open invitation to add extra misery to an already upsetting scenario.  With your contacts could this be looked at?
 Thanks
Phil Mead

Comments

• philmead said:
    Our daughter recently had her handbag snatched in the street by a  cyclist and when helping her sort out the card notifications etc we realised that her address is also in her wallet on her Driving License. This left her having to change locks as well.  It occurs to us how much of a security risk this is having the address on this document when all other cards etc do not. With the likelihood of house keys being in a bag it is an open invitation to add extra misery to an already upsetting scenario.  With your contacts could this be looked at?
     Thanks
    Phil Mead
    The driving license is legally required to have an address on it, this is part of the legislation and it is very unlikely it will be changed, even more so as driving licenses are often used as a wider form of ID and removing the address would severely limit that. 

Also, this board does not have contacts that can look into things, certainly nothing related to changes in legislation. 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2022 at 8:59PM
    philmead said:
     Thanks
    Phil Mead

Hi Phil who would you like to look into it ?

If you mean Martin well he doesn't own the site anymore let alone frequent it.
    You would need to contact him via social media so twitter for example.

What would you like to be done ?
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,744
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There's no need to carry your driving licence around with you - problem solved
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,472
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Addresses have been on driving licences for decades, back to the old "red card" type licence. So this is basically a lost cause. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • cx6
    cx6 Posts: 1,176
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes I think it is basically a bad idea to carry any form of address information around along with your house keys.

If you think you need the licence for some reason then take a photo of it on your smartphone rather than carry it around.
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,284
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cx6 said:
    Yes I think it is basically a bad idea to carry any form of address information around along with your house keys.

If you think you need the licence for some reason then take a photo of it on your smartphone rather than carry it around.
    But if you're asked to show ID they might not accept a photo.

Come on you Irons
  • cx6
    cx6 Posts: 1,176
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can't remember the last time I was asked to 'show ID' other than when I was expecting to be asked eg opening a new bank account in  branch, checking in for a flight etc
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cx6 said:
    Can't remember the last time I was asked to 'show ID' other than when I was expecting to be asked eg opening a new bank account in  branch, checking in for a flight etc
    I assume you are therefore over 25.

Under 25s, even those under 30 will regularly have to show ID to buy alcohol, lottery, cigerttes, etc.
  • cx6 said:
    I am in my thirties, in the last five years I have been asked for ID when buying beer in Sainsbury's and expensive wine in Waitrose, there is no way that I could be viewed as under 25. Not only do retailers now tend to have a Challenge 25 policy (up from 21), but many also do random spot checks as well as a matter of routine. I don't know anyone adult who doesn't carry a driving license now, I have carried one in my wallet for as long as I have had it. 
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,498
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
     I don't know anyone adult who doesn't carry a driving license now, I have carried one in my wallet for as long as I have had it. 
    I have not carried my driving licence routinely for the last 20 years.  The folk at Sainsbury barely glance at me when checking I'm over 25.  Mind you, I'm in my early 50s with receding and greying hair   :/
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback