? 58 pence refund from M&S in the form of an e-card?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 February 2022 at 4:06PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I contacted M&S on return home from a journey by bus today, 08 February - (round trip of about 80 minutes plus walking and waiting time) to find that the milk I had bought there was dated 'Use by 05 February.'  I telephoned M&S to let them know and, although I don't know what reasonable expectations would be, I was really surprised by the response.

Since I could not return to the store with the out of date milk and receipt I was asked to take photographs of the milk and the receipt and send it to the customer services email address I was given.  I did this and here is the response I received from M&S:

"I am terribly sorry that it was not up to our usual standard. I have discussed this issue with our food team so that they can be aware of this issue to ensure others are not let down in a similar way .

I have processed your refund in the form of e-gift card you will receive it in the next 72 hours.

Take care.

Kind Regards"

The milk only cost 58 pence and, as explained, I don't know what my response should reasonably be, but I'm disappointed in M&S and would be surprised to receive, as it sounds possible, an e-gift card refund for ? 58 pence in the next 72 hours.  I replied to the email expressing my concern but, more than anything, I feel just really surprised and a bit disillusioned in M&S's response.

How would anyone else respond to this, please?  I ask because I am interested.

Crimson

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Post both pictures on twitter for M&S to see making a point of asking why whatever store it was was selling milk 3 days out of date. Copy in your local council for Environmental Health Department. That will most likely produce a far better response.

It should also produce a visit from the Environmental Health inspector to the store who will go around and look for DEF (Date Expired Food)
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Merlin139 said:
    Post both pictures on twitter for M&S to see making a point of asking why whatever store it was was selling milk 3 days out of date. Copy in your local council for Environmental Health Department. That will most likely produce a far better response.

It should also produce a visit from the Environmental Health inspector to the store who will go around and look for DEF (Date Expired Food)
    One incident is unlikely to get environment health out to inspect if everything is usually good. Of course if they scored poorly before it might get them to inspect again, but in general it would need several reports to show there is a major issue and failures to put in practice adequate systems.

It may be a genuine mistake where someone checking the shelf saw many bottles all with a good date, but one odd one got pushed to the back by another customer and wasn't noticed. Mistakes happen.
  • I contacted M&S on return home from a journey by bus today, 08 February - (round trip of about 80 minutes plus walking and waiting time) to find that the milk I had bought there was dated 'Use by 05 February.'  I telephoned M&S to let them know and, although I don't know what reasonable expectations would be, I was really surprised by the response.

Since I could not return to the store with the out of date milk and receipt I was asked to take photographs of the milk and the receipt and send it to the customer services email address I was given.  I did this and here is the response I received from M&S:

"I am terribly sorry that it was not up to our usual standard. I have discussed this issue with our food team so that they can be aware of this issue to ensure others are not let down in a similar way .

I have processed your refund in the form of e-gift card you will receive it in the next 72 hours.

Take care.

Kind Regards"

The milk only cost 58 pence and, as explained, I don't know what my response should reasonably be, but I'm disappointed in M&S and would be surprised to receive, as it sounds possible, an e-gift card refund for ? 58 pence in the next 72 hours.  I replied to the email expressing my concern but, more than anything, I feel just really surprised and a bit disillusioned in M&S's response.

How would anyone else respond to this, please?  I ask because I am interested.

Crimson

maybe wait and see exactly what they refund you first? They might round it up a bit?

But even if they don't, you've still been refunded for the item.

I presume you didn't take an 80 minute bus ride just to buy a pint of milk?

• yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I see both sides. 3 days out and still on the shelf is absolutely unacceptable. The price mentioned indicates it was a single pint, and in my experience, those are very poor sellers and the store would be VERY WELL AWARE that they often get to their date without selling. They would be checked every single day and reduced or removed accordingly. Getting missed for four days running? Wow. That's M&S dropping the ball, even if customers rearranged them.

Supermarkets are very sensitive about such mistakes because one of the big four was handed a multi-million pound fine for getting it terribly, terribly wrong across three stores in Birmingham a few years back. It's a social media nightmare and a real fear for the bigwigs. Head offices just never stop banging on about rotation and food waste and checking and double checking and checking again and documenting it again, and again and again.

M&S's offer is a kind one. And huge points to you for acknowledging it in this way. As others have noted, there is no health risk from drinking the milk and as long as it smells fine and isn't curdling, you'll be fine. Milk is really handy in that way.

Lesson learned: look at the dates when you're buying things :smile:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure