Money Moral Dilemma: Should I stretch my budget to have an expensive holiday lunch with my friend?

Options

Comments

• ginger_chocolate
    ginger_chocolate Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2022 at 10:45AM
    Options
    If I really, really wanted to go for the slap up lunch I'd be looking at my budget again and see if there was another non-essential cost I was willing to sacrifice in order to go for the lunch.

This is based on the assumption that someone who is taking a trip to Paris is probably not on the breadline, they just need to pick and choose their treats.

• Phantom151
    Phantom151 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2022 at 12:28PM
    Options
    [DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Well that was a bit harsh and uncalled for. People are in different situations, who knew? OP might just be slightly better off than you and have saved for 2 years to be able to pay for what could be a really good deal on the Eurostar. £39 return tickets are available.
  • ginger_chocolate
    ginger_chocolate Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2022 at 12:33PM
    Options
    [DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Well that was a bit harsh and uncalled for. People are in different situations, who knew? OP might just be slightly better off than you and have saved for 2 years to be able to pay for what could be a really good deal on the Eurostar. £39 return tickets are available.
    To be fair - if you're really struggling, and can't even dream of having £39 to spend on a holiday it probably is quite upsetting to see something like this shoved in your face. I totally get why someone might have this reaction to a post like this when so many are having a really tough time. 
  • grandmafromnorth
    Options
    This isn’t a moral dilemma. It’s a question of common sense. If you really can’t afford the lunch say so. If you can afford it, enjoy the lunch. Pity you’ve not got anything more to worry about. 
  • Teresa_Dunne
    Options
    Why don’t you suggest a picnic? You can bring English butter & cheese, cider...she can bring French bread and wine?
  • Dylan2016
    Options
    I understand your predicament - I always used to say yes because of mixed feelings including shame about saying no to a friends suggestion, now I speak up, surprisingly friends are very accepting!
    Just wondering if perhaps you already know the answer - that it wont really be fun to have an expensive slap up meal when underneath you know its out of range for your budget? You are on your own with the anxiety of how to pay this debt when you arrive home. Paris is an interesting city with lots of cheaper options in some historical streets, surely its the experience of enjoying the company of your friend even if you decide to picnic by the Seine, after all you will have lots to talk about? 
  • orangerose1
    Options
    Your friend might have absolutely no idea of your financial circumstances. Just be honest and suggest a cheapo lunch. 
    You never know they might not really be able to afford it and be relieved .
    If they offer to treat you and you graciously accept you can at least not choose all the expensive dishes and perhaps contribute the tip .
  • SuperScrimper1
    Options
    Explain to your friend finances are tight ...Coffee and cake somewhere cheap ...or in a park if good weather...The main thing is that you get to see one another and catch up ...posh eating in Paris is a nightmare anyway expect table service to be dire...better an onion soup and a roll in a cafe than that if you need to catch up. :)
  • JulieM39
    Options
    Every question on here has the same answer really.

It's up to you.
  • piglit21
    Options
    I would never want anyone to stretch themselves for me and would definitely want to be told that it would be a stretch.  Always say if something is too much.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback