Speeding Ticket

Options
2»

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take a little comfort that if you get caught sometime in the next 3 years you should be offered a course. 
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tracytown said:
    maz2702 said:
    I am 52 and had a clean licence since I passed my test at 18. During the first lockdown I got caught on a mobile speeding van (at the bottom of a very steep hill - in my defence?) on my way to work (34 on a 30 road) and received a penalty notice in the post. there was no option of a speed awareness course just pay the fine and have the points on  my licence. So with decades of no claim discount my insurance, has gone up due to the speeding points. 

During the second lock down both my husband and my brother in law ( who have both been caught speeding a number of times in the past and who both have had multiple points in the past for various reasons) were both on separate occasions caught speeding (one 42 in a 30 the other 78 on the A14). Both were offered the speed awareness course (for a cost) in exchange for having no points on their licence to therefore their insurance in unaffected. 

My question, is it viable to complain in hindsight for a speeding fine and points on the bases it seems extremely unfair that both my husband and brother in law who speed everywhere and seem at times in the past to collect points had the option to avoid them when I did not?
    No, by law once you accept the ticket (by paying for it) that is the end of the matter legally. You cannot change it and neither can the police. If you had not paid you could have some course of action, but you have. 

If the OP had not paid, her only course would have been to wait for the inevitable court action.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback