Marks & Spencer complaint - weird?

maggiesoup
maggiesoup Posts: 766 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 1 February 2022 at 5:25AM in Praise, vent & warnings
I spent £89 on a cashmere jumper in December.  After two washes the neck was very slack so I complained via their complaints phone line (a foreign girl but very nice). She apologised and said that it was important that their product was first class so she was going to send me a new jumper.  I was impressed!  Didn't even need to take it into a shop, hey, great customer service, so I thought. 

Two weeks later, Hermes (apparently) lost it after a promise of delivery 3 times.  I then called M&S last Friday to say how disappointed I was in their chosen courier. Once again, another apology and very quickly said she's despatch another jumper!

All the emails from M&S followed through saying it had been despatched again and that I should expect delivery (on 31 January, ie today) but, once again, it appears to be lost in transit!!  Hopeless trying to contact Hermes, I've tried half a dozen times, can't speak to a human . 

I wonder if the whole thing is a scam?  Emails look legit (both M&S and Hermes) I'm beginning to wonder if M&S are so fed up with complaints that they say they will re-send an expensive item then get Hermes to just "lose it in transit" a couple of times in the hope that customers just give up.   I honestly now don't know where to turn?  Anyone had any problems like this?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Ask them to send it by Royal Mail.
  • OK guys, I can hear you.  But can anyone make sense of Hermes "losing" three shipments (my last one still hasn't been delivered) from what must be one of their major clients?

I'm looking into QAnon :) 
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With Hermes nothing surprises me.  I have waited three weeks on delivery from them and had items supposedly lost to turn up weeks later.  Hermes had major problems over December and beginning of January.  I still wait nearly two weeks for a Hermes delivery and have just stopped using companies that use them to deliver.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    can anyone make sense of Hermes "losing" three shipments 

Yep.

It's Hermes.

Everything is dependent on the quality of your local delivery driver. Things either go fine, or very very badly.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    My son sent a large box of Christmas  presents by Hermes. 

By New Years Day it had not arrived so he contacted Hermes. Eventually they reported it was lost.

he submitted a claim for the £70 value.

The next day the parcel was delivered but not to the recipient but another address.

Fortunately, that person was the mother of the recipient's son who delivered it to the correct address.

• ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Our Hermes delivery driver has gone on holiday for 3 weeks - while he's away nothing is being delivered. He's already said that when he's back it's going to be stressful to catch up as he was already 2 weeks behind before he went....

We only buy things from places that don't use Hermes.
  • Woo Hoo turned up today.... and yes, as everyone has said, Hermes are terrible.  Package dated 19th January.  Thanks all who participated 
  • "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback