Options
13»

Comments

• florianatwobob
    florianatwobob Posts: 879 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 February 2022 at 11:24PM
    Options
    I don’t tip my trades but while they’re here they are well watered and fed (I often make them lunch and have been known to supply lollies when it’s really hot) and paid promptly. I always treat them with respect as they’re the experts in their trades. If they finish earlier than planned I have been known to split the difference between their quote and the final cost. 

What I do, if they’ve done a good job, is recommend them for other jobs. As a result I have a reliable sparky, plumber, plasterer and chippy who all know that they’re my first choice. Because of all this if I have an emergency they’ll squeeze me in and throw in freebies occasionally. 
    ✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅(DSis🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration coupons = 50/66 (5 coupons, 5 pairs of socks| 6 coupons, dungarees | 5 coupons, blouse)

✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2023

✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️   ⭐️
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2022

✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅
    👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)
  • Dickthemint69
    Options
    Tip builders? I don’t think so. After all, they do get paid and if it’s your business you do alright. They’re usually supplied with free tea and biscuits all day every day, and on occasions get sandwiches. Some builders are cheeky enough to tell you to “put the kettle on love”.
    And don’t forget that it’s your electricity they’re using. If you think I’m mean you need to meet my neighbour who, if asked for a cuppa and biccie, tells the builder there’s a charge per cuppa. She’s not mean, but she means it!
    Tip them if you like, but this boy’s not for tipping. 
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tipping would depend on the quality of the workmanship and on how much snagging they had to do when the job was finished. "Do it once, do it right" is a motto round here,along with "measure twice, cut once".
     And no chance of tipping if it was paid by the day, as they'd already have strung it out to make money. Though I'd only want someone working for me on a 'price job' - fixed price beforehand.
    My general buider gets rather more than just a tip from me - but he is my OH!
  • Afourteen
    Afourteen Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tip's as a matter of course - NO! But always recognise Christmas and, if you know/find out, Birthdays.
    Offer them hot drinks at meal break times - that is the most appreciated offering you can give. 

If 'Tipping' becomes the norm then the Tax Man will become interested (Tip's are taxable) and every builder will be taxed on their expected tips. 

I've been associated with the building trade all my life and have never known of a monetary tip being given; at best a case/crate of beer.

Rather than give a Tip - pay up as soon as the bill arrives! Especially if the builder is a small, one man business.

• greenface2
    greenface2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tip what you feel is right . If they do a decent job then a little extra is good for them . If they pull out a few stops and go the extra yard to help you . I am often tipped when fitting windows but never expect it . I share it between the lads if its a decent amount or put it for toasties or a pint , 
  • smidger_dave
    Options
    As a builder, its always nice to receive the bacon sarnies and tea with biscuits (has to be chocolate!) but its never expected.
    Good lads will always appreciate any extras/ tips whatever they may be, your giving it, give whatever you feel, don't get hung up worrying about the choice. If its something they don't want/like a family member will get it and be glad and if the lads complain, you have probably had the wrong team! PS. if you don't want to stand and make tea all day for those motley crew, just providing the facility of a kettle etc is very welcome.  
    2702 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would not even think of it. When did all this start? Who else should we be tipping ? Dentists or Doctors or what about bankers? Could go on forever. Surely if you get a quote for a job that is what you pay, It is up to the business to pay their staff fairly.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We usually give an extra £10 or £20 on top of the price for one person. I don't recall giving anything when it's been a team, such as when we've had a new kitchen or the conservatory built. 

OH always keeps workers in tea, biscuits and/or bacon butties. 
    I don't mind serving snacks with tea and coffee, but I draw the line at getting the frying pan out.

Our workers have tended to be ex-pupils and/or rugby club boys. The bacon butties are an excuse for OH to tuck in, too. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback