ryan7 Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe a just eat voucher each 
  • starving_artist
    Options
    Andthen07 said:
    A crate of beer maybe, not monetary.

I did this for one guy who worked incredibly hard right through a heatwave a couple of years ago. 

I usually make cappuccinos and chocolate brownies/biscuits when I've had trades in but all too often I've been disappointed by the effort they have put in to their work.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Andthen07 said:
    A crate of beer maybe, not monetary.
    I wouldn't give alcohol because you never know if people are addicted (and if they couldn't have it they'd lose out). Same with food - one of my relatives has Type I diabetes and a couple more have Type 2 so they would lose out there.

Money is by far the best option, if people can afford it.
    Mine were well-fed and watered throughout, and I gave them a bottle of fizz each at the end. 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely tip, and tip with £'s.  Either as a lump sum or ideally an amount per person.  

I tip.  But I know loads who don't.  
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    When we had work done over the years it has been a case of offering tea/coffee on a regular basis.  If you want to give them something then between £10 and £20 per head to show your appreciation of all their hard would seem OK. 
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I always tip tradespeople . Worked well for me with builder who knocked money off other jobs I gave  him , plus he would always be there if I needed him .

I tipped an electrician £10 a few weeks back who did a great job without charging emergency fee . He was surprised / delighted and he did say that he will be back when the lighting needs changing in the bathroom and hallway which it will do probably this year .
    I always say that if you get a good tradesperson look after them .
    I always give tea/ coffee/ biscuits etc also ...
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh crumbs, I would never have thought to tip as a routine.

Tea, coffee, biscuit tin, bacon sandwiches I freely supply. I was teased by the garage roofer a few years back for appearing on the hour every hour to ask if they wanted a brew or cold drink and putting a biscuit tub out as he said that was unusual.  

Our electrician, boiler chap, and builder have been looking after us for years now.  But all small jobs. The Carpet fitters who its first time using are returning for another room. 

I wonder if tipping is 'usual', if its more usual on higher priced jobs etc. if the trades people take note of the persons surroundings.. eg funsihings or persons age /disability and dont hold it against us?

For those whose budgets don't stretch and are feeling embarrassed or guilty, a good review, word of mouth recommendations, manners and cuppa still seem to go a long way here. 

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 January 2022 at 12:25PM
    Options
    I would not judge these guys as people who are only too glad of handouts from the lady or gentleman of the manor. A handyman who I used to use on ocassions when I needed help doing alterations to my house refused any cups of teas I offered him.  He told me that he did not like getting things given to him.  I would round up the cheques sometimes when a job was completed and that was OK with him, so it was just just anything that was not money that he did not like.  I later found out that he lived in a new 2000 ft2 house and had several buy-to-lets as well.  He was probably a paper millionaire if not an actual millionaire.  A great guy who always did a good job.  
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We usually give an extra £10 or £20 on top of the price for one person. I don't recall giving anything when it's been a team, such as when we've had a new kitchen or the conservatory built. 

OH always keeps workers in tea, biscuits and/or bacon butties. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    We usually give an extra £10 or £20 on top of the price for one person. I don't recall giving anything when it's been a team, such as when we've had a new kitchen or the conservatory built. 

OH always keeps workers in tea, biscuits and/or bacon butties. 
    I don't mind serving snacks with tea and coffee, but I draw the line at getting the frying pan out.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport