Energy Price Cap announcement: Watch Martin Lewis explain what it means for your electricity and gas bills this winter

Can I have a wind turbine on my end of terrace?

13»

Replies

• QrizBQrizB Forumite
    10K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Here are a couple of zoomable maps if anyone wants to explore:
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Voda BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple WT2 member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 29MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Kinda busy right now but I try to pop back to the forum every so often. Drop me a PM if you need me!
  • gazapcgazapc Forumite
    256 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    Here are a couple of zoomable maps if anyone wants to explore:

These sort of maps are far too coarse to cope with complex urban terrain.

I remember this study from about a decade ago looking at domestic (building mounted) wind installs. The technology (and physics!) hasn't changed that much but here is an extract of the conclusion.

"The average energy generated per turbine per day across the sample set has been 214 Wh (including times when turbines were switched off for maintenance or due to failures). This is equivalent to an average of 78 kWh of energy produced per site per year and an average capacity factor of 0.85%....The poorest site generated an average of 41Wh per day when in operation or 15 kWh per year, which is less than the energy it consumed to run the turbine’s electronics."

So very very poor results
    https://s1.solacity.com/docs/Warwick Wind Trials Report.pdf

Yes you might get slightly better results for a small turbine at the bottom of the garden, but 100ft isn't that far in turbine terms so you will probably royally !!!!!! of your neighbours. If you want more on site generation much easier to maximise solar - if the roof is full could you put some ground mount in the garden?