We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Petrol/diesel diet challenge – official MSE discussion

Options

Comments

• DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jenni_D said:
    It won't be zero effect - that electric power has to come from somewhere, i.e. the battery, so must be replenished. Unless aircon is an example of free energy? (Perpetual motion). ;) 
    The alternator runs constantly when driving so maybe you can expand on your theory?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ectophile said:

On old cars, before fancy engine management systems were a thing, you could sometimes hear the engine slow down if you were idling and turned on a big electrical load.

Or on my 2007 Focus when the air-con kicks in. 
    Maybe that qualifies as an old car without any fancy management?
    Sadly, the air con is knackered so the negative impact from energy load has no positive in improved comfort.  All the change of engine note does is to remind me to turn the air con off.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing has changed for us has been the amount of journies we make because of covid.

We both WFH now, so one car has went from £180 a month fuel to maybe £60.  The other would have been £80 a month, now £25 a month.

We also get our groceries delivered now rather than go grocery shopping and to be honest, most stuff we need we just get via the grocery order, ebay or Amazon.  

When we do go out i tend to make it "worth my while" - got a hair cut last saturday morning, picked up prescriptions for my wife on the way past the chemist and also got a top of of groceries we were short of.

None of that is specifically to save money on fuel, but thats the positive side effect.

If i continue to WFH we'll sell our second car - biggest expense there is the £585 road tax (i stupidly didnt check before i bought it).  

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,714 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2022 at 10:10PM
    Options
    ElefantEd said:
    Step 4. Get an electric car, petrol costs disappear!
    What's cheaper? A £500 car that you need to fill with £60 of petrol or a £30,000 EV? That's a lot of petrol before you get to the purchase cost or looking at the environmental impact of a new car vs existing
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jimjames said:
    ElefantEd said:
    Step 4. Get an electric car, petrol costs disappear!
    What's cheaper? A £500 car that you need to fill with £60 of petrol or a £30,000 EV? That's a lot of petrol before you get to the purchase cost or looking at the environmental impact of a new car vs existing

There's a huge gulf of options between a £500 ICE car and a £30k EV. ICE cars can cost a lot more, and EVs a lot less; there are EV's on autotrader for under £5000 now. Like this Leaf for £4800:  https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201171435865

• Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    An oldie but a goodie: ensure your brakes aren't binding.  
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    The top one is always drive less, I used to use around £120 pcm of fuel with regular commuting, now I use around £40 pcm. Whilst a chunk of that was commuting, I have also got out of the habit of making smallish pointless journeys, I will often walk, sometimes cycle etc.

Not speeding is also a good one, people will burn a lot more fuel on the motorway at 80-90 mph than at 60 mph and on a trip a few junctions up the motorway are unlikely to save themselves any significant amount of time. 

Getting rid of all of the extra weight in the car is also important, I know people that drive around with loads of stuff in their boot, probably 100kg of the stuff, it might be a small percentage, but it adds up over the course of a year's driving. 
  • Rolyan
    Rolyan Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2022 at 11:52PM
    Options
    Taking your foot off the gas going downhill (when safe to do so considering other road users) while still in gear uses ZERO petrol in modern cars. It adds up over time. 

This is not the same as driving out of gear and coasting, which still uses petrol. 
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    With so many companies now allowing\encouraging it best advice is to work from home rather than drive to work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback