Employer advertising job position with higher hourly rate than current existing staff

Options
Hello there so I've been working at nursing home for nearly five years, i'm not sure if i should post any details regarding Company who owns the home or not, for now I won't mention it. So I work as a senior(team leader/supervisor) carer on an hourly rate of £9.41 the non seniors are on £8.91 per hour, in November of 2021 the companies website where adverting for care staff (non senior) at my location with the hourly rate of £9.06. 
In October of 2021 a new care staff member signed there employment contract at £8.91 due to the application process and DBS they only did there first shift on the 4th of January 2022, having checked the careers website for the care home the hourly rate for there position is advertised at £9.51. Having spoke to my line manager they are informing us that if a new member of staff comes to the home now, that new staff member would start at £9.51 and all existing care staff would go up to this rate with Senior care staff going possibly to £9.91
So my question was is this common practice because to me it doesn't make any sense, why would you not bring all care staff up to the advertised hourly rate

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,366 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The minimum wage goes up to £9.50 in April so all staff will go up to that by then if not before - makes sense to me to advertise the job at the new rate not the old.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Boris82 said:
    Hello there so I've been working at nursing home for nearly five years, i'm not sure if i should post any details regarding Company who owns the home or not, for now I won't mention it.
    No don't do this at all.
  • Boris82
    Options
    The minimum wage goes up to £9.50 in April so all staff will go up to that by then if not before - makes sense to me to advertise the job at the new rate not the old.
    So hypothetically you have a cashiers working in Tesco on £9.50 per hour but Tesco career website is advertising the same position but at £10 per hour. And Tesco won't raise the current employees wages to £10 until a new person starts, is that something that would normally happen or would Tesco raise the current employees when the position is being advertised?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,366 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boris82 said:
    So hypothetically you have a cashiers working in Tesco on £9.50 per hour but Tesco career website is advertising the same position but at £10 per hour. And Tesco won't raise the current employees wages to £10 until a new person starts, is that something that would normally happen or would Tesco raise the current employees when the position is being advertised?

It would cause significant bad feeling if the new starters were on more than the longstanding staff so it is easy to see why the company would pay everyone the same.  It is also common for a business to want to pay staff as little as possible and to delay a pay rise as long as they possibly can.  Combine those two and you have the situation you describe - I wouldn't call it usual, but see nothing illegal about it.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think you really need to look at moving on. I've just look at the rates for social care workers in our local council, there  recruitment level is £30,522.55 - £35,731.62 per year. (social care not social workers).
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you really need to look at moving on. I've just look at the rates for social care workers in our local council, there  recruitment level is £30,522.55 - £35,731.62 per year. (social care not social workers).
    Can you link to that, please?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You have PM.General_Grant said:
    Can you link to that, please?
    You have PM.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2022 at 9:35PM
    Options
    Are you comparing like for like? Where I am social care worker roles are kind of like junior social workers without the qualification, not care home staff. Local authority care homes having been tuped out years ago. 
    Senior care assistants in the private sector are £9-£10 an hour, just checked. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 January 2022 at 9:37PM
    Options
    elsien said:
    Are you comparing like for like? Where I am social care worker roles are kind of like junior social workers without the qualification, not care home staff. Local authority care homes having been tuped out years ago. 
    Senior care assistants in the private sector are £9-£10 an hour, just checked. 
    I've sent General_Grant a link to the job. Its care home and directly employed by LA.

The LA's employ social work assistants to do the role you describe.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2022 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Just checked my local authority websites. Qualified social workers have a lower starting rate than the rate you’ve quoted only starting at 25K. Local authority support workers are 18K. 
    London based? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure