PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Comments

• Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Pollie said:
    You can also make gram flour flatbreads . Just whisk 150g gram flour, salt, pepper and 200ml cold water. Leave for 30 mins. Oil a 14cm frying pan and pour in enough batter to make thin flatbread. Cook a few mins until golden brown, turn over and cook the other side.
    that sounds easy, thanks!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In: another big shop of store cupboard staples to take advantage of offers. The emergency cupboard is just about full now though I took out some hot chocolate. I was quite pleased at all the discounts I managed to lump together, though of course it means spending more money to get them. (Paradoxically).

I think the only things bought that aren't often on the shopping list were apple juice for DH, which we do get sometimes, and baking apples to make a pudding to take when we go to our daughter's on Monday.

Out: the breaded fish that I probably mentioned yesterday.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    When all the family still lived at home, about one Saturday a month was 'finish up the freezer' day. I'd make chips and everyone chose from the odd fishfingers, sausages etc. I think I may have added beans most times.

It wasn't an overall solution to random freezer contents but it helped stop the problem getting too far out of hand.

• Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    When all the family still lived at home, about one Saturday a month was 'finish up the freezer' day. I'd make chips and everyone chose from the odd fishfingers, sausages etc. I think I may have added beans most times.

It wasn't an overall solution to random freezer contents but it helped stop the problem getting too far out of hand.
    love this idea!
  • Cherryfudge
    By way of a PS: it's probably a good idea to check you have reserve supplies in case there aren't enough oddments! It works for sweet treats too.

DH finished the tuna pasta for dinner today and I had veggie chilli from the freezer. I finally remembered to open the stollen I bought at Christmas so that's now being eaten, and I've turned three more lemons into lemon curd, which led to me discovering that getting the traces out of the bowl with a spatula and polishing them off makes a perfectly acceptable alternative to licking out the cake mix bowl while the cake is cooking.

• LotsOfTea
    LotsOfTea Posts: 57 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

That is an excellent idea!

I've completed the freezer audit and there are a fair few tubs full of what I've had to categorize "random veg stew" and lots of things I didn't know I had. Since I'm not sure how long most of it has been in there I decided to start using anything meaty up first as veg is less likely to be a problem. I've taken out a packet of ham that DS can have in his sarnies this week, some leftover chicken from a roast that DH can have added to some Dal I've got in the fridge, a packet of bacon that the menfolk can have as bacon butties and a pack of two burgers that had been frozen from fresh that they can have for tea in the next couple of days. I just need to get some burger buns. It turns out I've got plenty of veggie burgers I can hoik out for myself as well. 

I also took out a half loaf of banana and chocolate cake for puddings over the next few days.

I've got the full list stuck to the fridge door and I feel much more in control now. 
  • Cherryfudge
    @LotsOfTea, that's an impressive achievement! You've got quite a few meals sorted already so your shopping budget will thank you too. :) 

• TracyS66
    TracyS66 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

We do this I call it the bits and bobs dinner, all on the table in the oven trays its cooked in to save on washing up, its a great idea to use up those odds and sods 
  • Cherryfudge
    Out: chicken, in: chorizo, salmon.

I think I'm subconsciously sabotaging my freezer space. Just when I had room in two drawers, there was salmon marked down, and suddenly the space I was gloating over is gone...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport