We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Why do my daffs always flower earlier than other peoples?

Options
My daffodils always come up and flower well before any others i see in the area, last year they were in full bloom in the middle of January in very cold weather, these look like the regular yellow variety when they flower but is there a certain variety that is renowned for early flowering?

These were already in the ground before we moved in so i don't know who put them there!

Time Is The Enemy!

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,333 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not sure about early flowering variety but I expect there is, certainly there are late flowering ones. Have you tried searching on line for early flowering daffs?

For instance I just did and had a few hits, including this one https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/narcissus-rijnvelds-early-sensation/classid.2000017401/

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Yes I would say it's the variety but I wouldn't know which one. I have seen some that flower at Christmas but I've not spotted one in flower yet this year. Mine are still invisible.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some varieties are much earlier than the common ones and others much later. One possibility is

Narcissus Rijnveld's Early Sensation: £7.49
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • donemedosh
    donemedosh Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some Daffs do flower early around Feb time (febuary gold being one) & there are a few that can be in flower at christmas. But they may well flower early because they like the position they are in sheltered soil etc. I have daffs on either side of my garden & its always S/E facing side to flower first by weeks some years
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would say a combination of variety and position.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And also, could it be the soil? Yours could be really good quality, better than your neighbours if the people before you took exceptional care of their garden. My Dad used to and he always said it was most important not to neglect soil if you wanted things to grow. He grew many flower varieties and on the other side, many veg.

Our daffs start coming up mid to end January, after the crocuses. Snowdrops are first though, they'll be coming up soon and they last for weeks. Same thing as you, though, they were here before we came. And they just keep coming every year and all the plants withstand cold, frost and snow. Quite spectacular, really when we haven't had to do a thing.  :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also how far south & west you are... we're near the south coast, but in the middle going east-west; my brother further west & south generally has daffs flowering at least a week before we do, but my son in south-west Wales is two weeks behind us. Height's also an issue; another brother is also further west, but much higher up (300m as opposed to our 30m) and he's also behind us. So, many possible factors as well as variety!
    Angie - GC May 24 £311.12/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, there are an increasing number of varieties that bloom now.
    We have them at the roadside here in the south west already and they've put some in the park now.  It's cheering but weird.
    There are some old ornamental plumbs that bloom through Christmas. I tried some cuttings but they didn't survive my move. 
    Finding these early bloomers is hard because what it says on the packet is not always what happens.
    Lucky you. :)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spotted a snowdrop in bloom the Sunday before Christmas.  We've got a couple of roses just opened up which are white, when normally they're cream with pink edges to the leaves. Nature does do strange things!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure