124»

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Whats your Fiesta?  Something sporty?
    Not particularly, a fairly run of the mill 1.25 Zetec Si, but absolutely love it.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Not particularly, a fairly run of the mill 1.25 Zetec Si, but absolutely love it.
    Nice!

Theres merit in stuff like that.  My son has often said if / when he comes home from Australia he would be as well running something old with a bit of personality thats nice enough to keep his attention and put a smile on his face, but cheap and old enough not to depreciate.

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, we've had the Fiesta since 6 months old.

It is a fantastic fun little car - very nippy with great handling, nothing fancy in it to go wrong.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Theres merit in stuff like that.  My son has often said if / when he comes home from Australia he would be as well running something old with a bit of personality thats nice enough to keep his attention and put a smile on his face, but cheap and old enough not to depreciate."

A lot to be said for MK4 Golf GTi's whilst not the current darling of the Golf range they are hewn out of granite and can perform well.
  • motorguy
    Options
    caprikid1 said:
    "Theres merit in stuff like that.  My son has often said if / when he comes home from Australia he would be as well running something old with a bit of personality thats nice enough to keep his attention and put a smile on his face, but cheap and old enough not to depreciate."

A lot to be said for MK4 Golf GTi's whilst not the current darling of the Golf range they are hewn out of granite and can perform well.
    Agreed.  I'd several of those back in the day and always liked them.  

Fiesta ST150 would be another interesting one.  Not a ball of fire out on the road but they're nicely finished, reasonably robust and cheap to run.  Like anything the prices have went up though.

• biscan25
    biscan25 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy said:
    motorguy said:
    Nice!

Theres merit in stuff like that.  My son has often said if / when he comes home from Australia he would be as well running something old with a bit of personality thats nice enough to keep his attention and put a smile on his face, but cheap and old enough not to depreciate.

I've been so happy with my 2003 Renaultsport Clio 2.0. A joy to drive, somehow ULEZ compliant, although wholly impractical if you have more than 2 people or any stuff in it, and VED/fuel economy is a killer. Bought as a stopgap for £1,200 in 2015, now worth £2.5-£3k.

With old cars I've also noticed that everything that often goes wrong already has, and they reach a kind of steady-state of decay.

I'm probably too old to be driving a boy racer car, but I'm not too worried about that.
    Pensions actuary, Runner, Dog parent, Homeowner
  • motorguy
    Options
    biscan25 said:
    motorguy said:
    motorguy said:
    Nice!

I've been so happy with my 2003 Renaultsport Clio 2.0. A joy to drive, somehow ULEZ compliant, although wholly impractical if you have more than 2 people or any stuff in it, and VED/fuel economy is a killer. Bought as a stopgap for £1,200 in 2015, now worth £2.5-£3k.

With old cars I've also noticed that everything that often goes wrong already has, and they reach a kind of steady-state of decay.

I'm probably too old to be driving a boy racer car, but I'm not too worried about that.
    Funnily, the last car he had before he went to Australia was a Clio 200 Cup.  I'd also a 172 and a 197 in the last few years.

The one thing we found in common with them was the high maintenance costs.  BUT, as you say, most now have that done.  Even IF someone bought one needing a little bit of maintenance to get it sorted, its still likely peanuts compared to the price of a new one.

And yes, i was / am far too old (53 next month!) to have stuff like that but they are a hoot to drive.  Where we live is out in the country too so loads of good country A and B roads for a blast along.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback