Used car price increase

Hi all,
My car has been written off in a non-fault accident.
I'm looking to buy another Honda Jazz but am unsure whether to buy a 2008 at £4000 or a 2017 at £11,000.
The prices of used cars have gone up so much that I'm not sure the more expensive one can be justified in terms of how much I'll be overpaying. Having said that, I intend to keep it for a while. 
My concern is that if it's written off again I'll get even less money when prices start to drop again. 
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,466
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    £4k for a 13 year old Jazz is madness.
  • Actually, it's 2009 but it still feels expensive to me. 
  • I love Jazzes so I'm tempted by the more expensive one. Does £11k seem alot for a 2017 Honda Jazz with 16,000 miles on the clock?
    If so, it's back to the drawing board with other makes and I'm assuming they'll be overpriced too in the current market
  • The other one I've seen is a 2013 Jazz for £5495. Mileage is 51,000.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    are you paying cash for the more expensive one if not and it means going into debt then i would avoid it, car prices have gone silly but they will return to "normal" once everything hopefully kick starts again so for now just buy the cheap one for now

ps: i went to look at a 2008 jazz for my dad auto model it had 55,000 miles on the clock this was in 2018 and the lady had it on for sale for £1495, but we bought a fabia instead so it just show whats happend to the market,
    a mate of mine just sold his merc to a car dealer a few months ago and made a £3.5k profit after having used it for one year and the dealer has it on for 2.5k more, its just madness
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • havingaball74
    havingaball74 Posts: 268
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2021 at 10:59AM
    It's so confusing. I can't think of a worse time to get my car written off and I assume that the price they pay for my old Jazz will be negligible. Do you think prices will just continue to rise?
    Ps: I'll be paying in cash
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you do go for an expensive one, consider gap insurance, then if it is written off, the gap insurance tops up your insurance payout (supposedly current market value on the day it is written off) to the invoice price (big inflated price due to Brexit Covid). 

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • The details of the older car are:
    Honda Jazz
    £3689
    38,701 mileage
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Price rises are down to new car shortages and lockdown giving some more  money to spend .

• A new car might work out a bit cheaper over the long term (+ a bit of peace of mind) but nigh on impossible to get one from stock at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback