NHS afc banding within trust advice

Options
I would like some opinions if possible please. 

My current nhs trust has several hospitals / sites all under the same trust.  

If an employee has the same job title / position/ job description as me on one site, is there anything lawfully under AFC terms etc that says that we should both be paid at the same banding as we are both employed by same trust .

Currently I am paid at a band 5 when every other employee in the same role/ same title at a different site is paid a band 6

Thank you for your time 

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you can show the only reason you are at B5 not B6 is because of your race/sec/religion etc they can pay different amounts.

However if "every other employee in the same role/ same title at a different site is paid a band 6" you would have a good case for getting your job re-banded
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    First port of call is to get hold of your matched job report and also the same for the other posts. Scrutinise them for variations to get an idea of where you need to look to challenge this.
    Have a chat with a union steward who is trained on matching panels and get them on-board.
  • rcast1989
    Options
    Thank you for the response.  

I have checked through foi request and there is no other employee with my title and job description on a band 5, they are all band 6 however when I brought up this I was told 

"NHS is not about pay or prestige , it is about job security" and was swiftly denied a rebanding 

However now I know that no other site has this position at a band 5 level , all are band 6 within the Trust and that's important as nationwide the oay as always does vary from trust to trust 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pay particular attn to the scoring for factors 2 KTE and 12 Freedom to act.
    What profile have you been matched to and what profile have the other post holder been matched to?
  • rcast1989
    Options
    Pay particular attn to the scoring for factors 2 KTE and 12 Freedom to act.
    What profile have you been matched to and what profile have the other post holder been matched to?
    The job description are identical as they are the Trust afc job descriptions for my title , the only difference is the banding! 

It is why I plan to fight this tooth and nail but also why I wanted to check if there was any grounding to pay teo employee different banding for same afc job description. understand points withing the banding but not a whole band 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Forget the JD for the time being, the matching panel will have matched you and the other to a role profile, this may be generic, it may not. You need to get that job report to establish why the band outcomes are.
    What role are you doing and what profile have you been matched to?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you a union member?
  • rcast1989
    Options
    Are you a union member?
    Yes I am, unite and have spoken to the rep at the hospital who informed me I need to get the JD together for each site and level and compare contrast as you mentioned.  

The matching panel/ profiling is new to me but I am a Senior Anatomical Pathology Technologist 

Would the profiling factor things such as workload etc? I didn't think this could be a factor to be honest as it's prejudicial to be paid more just because one site is busier ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Workload doesn't factor into it. I'll try and have a look at the role and if there is a similar profile to match a higher band (likely be later this evening).
  • rcast1989
    Options
    Workload doesn't factor into it. I'll try and have a look at the role and if there is a similar profile to match a higher band (likely be later this evening).
    Thank you very much , it is a very niche profession but so is the knowledge and skills necessary .

If I match these level the same as evey other staff member within a trust then my argument is that I should be paid the same banding 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback